Retrospect cannot find catalog file

Hello,

I have been using Retrospect Desktop on Windows successfully for years, and I am currently using version 9.5.3.103. I store the backup set itself on a Western Digital USB hard drive and the catalog on the main disk of my computer.

This year, Retrospect got itself into a state where it could not find the Catalog file. If I try to "Configure a Backup Set" and select the set, it asks where is the catalog file. I can navigate to the file and try to open it, but it typically says that the file is not found, but occasionally it says that the "file is not a Catalog file or is heavily damaged."

This happened a couple of months ago, so I completely rebuilt the catalog (taking more than 18 hours) and **thought** that all was working well. However, I now discover that it was not working as I thought.

So here are several questions:--

1. Is this the right forum for this topic? if not, what is?

2. Might it possibly have something to do with blanks in the backup set name? All of my backup set names have had blanks in them, and that was not a problem in the past. But something could have changed in more recent releases.

3. Is there a way to recover the backed up information? I know that it is possible to rebuild catalogs from the backup media, but that won't help if I cannot access the the catalog file.

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

OSProf

• Like 12

1. At least it is one of the possible forums. The other would be "Retrospect 9 or higher for Macintosh"

2. I do not think so.

3. You could backup the catalog files, too. But obviously not to the same backup set. :)

4. It looks a bit like you have a problem with the system disk, Macintosh HD. Assuming, of course, that Macintosh HD is where you store the catalog files.

Repair your hard drive:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1782

If you have some third party utility that lets you scan the disk surface, run that too.