How do I check if a rule is working, without running a backup?

Hello,

I run Retrospect 9.0.2 at home. I have changed a rule that I want to test. Is there any kind of preview where I can check which files/folders that will be backed up?

The source is question is about 1TB, so I would very much like to avoid running a backup just to check the rule.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The ability to check or preview a selector was a great feature of Retrospect 6 that has subsequently disappeared when "selectors" became "rules," beginning with Retrospect 8. Does this mean that selectors are returning? That would be an excellent feature addition! ;)

I agree.

In the Windows version you could let it scan the source, match the files and then see which files that would be backed up.

Oh yeah. You are on the Mac. The ability to check the rule is limited. You can use the backup wizard. After you select source and destination, click Preview before you click Start Now. The preview will apply the rule and give you a better idea about what will be happening. Version 9 is pretty old, so I am not sure how well that option will work on your version. This may be more of a version 10 feature.

Clicking on the Preview button changes the rule from "Lennart's selection" to "Manual Selection", so I have no chance of seeing what files/folders that are being backed up.

Oh well, I can create a temporary Media Set and run a backup overnight. The problem is the source is a (slow) NAS and the only space I have is on the same NAS. 

I'll report back tomorrow. :)

It turned out that the rule ALMOST worked. 

I tried to exclude two folders from being backed up. Most files were indeed excluded, but two files in one of the folder was backed up and four files in the other folder. Go figure.

The files are mpeg-4 video files, both the ones that were backed up and the ones that were not.