Logged out Retrospect clients going deaf (again)

fredturner

This used to be a problem when we were using Retrospect 8 and 10 w/ clients primarily running Mac OS X 10.6.8. We have our users log out when they leave, and in the past, the logout would kill the Retrospect client. This changed when we started going to 10.9 Mavericks and Retrospect 11 (I think, I don't remember the exact combination). However, now with 10.10 Yosemite and Retro 11.5.3 (Client v11.5.2.104 currently), I've noticed this behavior becoming more and more common w/ our stations again. I have to regularly send out a launchctl unload/load combo to the client startions' daemons via Remote Desktop: 

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroclient.plist
launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroclient.plist

One observation about this: as soon as I send that pair of commands, most of the stations, which have been idle for possibly hours at the login window, will immediately go to sleep. Almost like the retroclient process is keeping them awake, but not facilitating a backup.

I'm glad to provide whatever add'l details would be helpful, as well as test different scenarios and possible fixes.

As a personal aside, I really think that you guys (Retro, Inc.) ought to focus more on testing and bug-fixing w/ networked and multiple remote-console scenarios. Another glitch that still afflicts my console (even v12) is mixing up of "content" from 2 or more different remote engines. We're essentially still paying for (incomplete) bug fixes 4 and 5 versions after the rewrite (v8). I use and have sold Retrospect to at least 10 different clients of mine, but at each purchase time I grimace a little bit because I know that the polish that ought to be there still isn't there, and I'm buying on the hopes that it'll eventually get there. If the coffers are full enough now w/ all the paid upgrades, please focus on nothing but streamlining and polishing the program— no new features— w/ some serious attention to complex, networked setups. We're not that far off anymore, but it's disheartening to continue to see such frequent releases requiring my clients to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for in order to get some more bug fixes.

Thanks,

Fred