Scanning incomplete, error -645 (chunk file damaged during save)

Retrospect for Windows Multi Server Version 7.6.123

When backing up shares on a Windows 2008R2 server running the Retrospect client I get the error noted in the topic title.

Other shares in the backup job (on different servers) backup OK.

I have tried to rebuild the catalogue (from tapes) numerous times and tried saving the catalogue file to different local disks on the backup server.

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Thanks.

Hi.

I actually found the solution to the problem on the forum here http://goo.gl/gMkIUr  (I couldn't find it using the forum search but Google found it)

To fix the problem with error -645 (chunk file damaged during save) it's necessary to delete the...

%ProgramData%\Retrospect\RtrSec.dir\SERVERNAME.dat

...file (where SERVERNAME is the name of the server identified as having the error in the logs).

I refined the method used in the post by restoring the SERVERNAME.dat file from a backup before the date the errors started occurring.

Hopefully this will help someone else if they have the same issue.

Regards.

• 2 years later...

Hi.

I actually found the solution to the problem on the forum here http://goo.gl/gMkIUr  (I couldn't find it using the forum search but Google found it)

To fix the problem with error -645 (chunk file damaged during save) it's necessary to delete the...

%ProgramData%\Retrospect\RtrSec.dir\SERVERNAME.dat

...file (where SERVERNAME is the name of the server identified as having the error in the logs).

I refined the method used in the post by restoring the SERVERNAME.dat file from a backup before the date the errors started occurring.

Hopefully this will help someone else if they have the same issue.

Regards.

Many thanks, this solution seems to have worked for me.  Well, Retrospect is currently backing up the script, before it would've bombed out before finishing the scan.  Confirmed, it worked... the backup completed without any errors after restoring the offending DAT file from a prior backup.

Hi.

I found that post with the solution, among other posts concerning the -645 error, using the Advanced Search (click the gear icon at the top right of the page) facility for the Forums.  I specified "-645" in the Find Words box—including the quotes—and "Windows Products—Retrospect" without the quotes (it's in a dropdown) in the Find in Forum box.

As I keep reminding people on these Forums, if you want to find posts discussing a particular Retrospect error you have to put that error number in quotes (apostrophes also work) in the Find Words box in Advanced Search.  Include the leading minus sign inside the quotes; otherwise your results will include posts that merely happen to have the numeric part of that error number somewhere in a line.  IME you'll get some of those posts anyway, so use the search feature of your chosen Web browser to search each returned thread for the specified error number including the leading minus sign—but without the surrounding quotes/apostrophes because your browser search will think they're part of the search string.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to offer a solution that involves AZee or anyone else spending money for an upgrade (insert appropriate smiley here), but I just noticed the -645 error has supposedly been fixed in Retrospect Windows 12.0 (and Retrospect Mac 14.0).  Search for "-645" (omit the quotes) using the web browser of your choice in these release notes.