New trial user, progressive backup question please.

C Wilson

I am using the current Windows desktop version of Retrospect under Win 7 64 bit Pro. I am backing up mainly to an LTO4 tape drive. Backups are created and can be viewed as folder / file trees, and also restored successfully. But I am sure I am either misunderstanding the function, or not having Retrospect set up correctly, as every back up is a full one, never a progressive one. I made a successful backup of my D: drive, then changed a few files by deletion or addition. I then tried another "normal" backup, expecting only the deleted or added files to get altered, but it did another many gigabytes complete backup. I attach my logs in the hope someone may be able to use them to tell me what I am doing wrong, or maybe I am miusunderstanding the ability to do faster backups using a progressive method? Thanks.

Best regards Chris in England UK.

retrospect-log.zip

You are probably confusing Snapshots with Sessions.

Every time Retro does a progessive Backup it takes a "Snapshot" of the volume it is backing up. THis Snapshot contains a list of all the files that were on the volume at the time.

The Session show ONLY the files that were actually backed up during a given backup session.

So your Session should show you the files you are expecting to see.

A short study of the Intro Chapter of the Manual has a good explanation of how Retro works. And it is a little different to most conventional backup products, and is essential to understand to get the best from Retro.

Welcome to Retrospect

I'll read the section again, but should I expect the next backup after the first one to be much faster, only backing up changed, added or deleted files? My second backup took as long as the first, and only two or three files were changed unless a background system changed anything I didn't notice? Or is the fact the second backup took as long as the first a function of backing up to tape as opposed to a hard drive? Thanks for your speedy reply above :)

I don't think I do, no, I'll check later, I believe I left whatever the defaults were. I suspect my issue is user error, thanks for pointing these options out. Retrospect is far more configurable than my previous back up programme (Macrium Reflect) and will take a bit of getting to grips with. I'll get there, eventually ;) Have a good weekend. and thank you.