Beware of Retrospect for Windows 10.0.0.213 if upgrading from 9.5!!!

bobbodavis

FYI for anyone who is considering upgrading from a previous version of Retrospect Server/Multiserver to the latest 10.0.0.213 version. I don't know if this is just me, but I've opened a support case and am hoping for some feedback and assistance.

Long story short- retrospect crashes when I do ANYTHING in 10.0.0.213 after upgrading from 9.5.2.103. Well, not anything, but most things. I can't even check the properties of 90% of my existing backup sets without a force crash occurring. I even tried creating a new backup set (which creates a new catalog file for it too) and then telling it to recreate the catalog file from existing backup files.....CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been able to successfully do a manual backup of the handful of systems where the backup sets don't automatically crash the entire application just by double clicking on them. Only the manual backups seem to work though - proactive backups start, scan the system and as soon as they go to write the first change.... CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily for me, I've learned from similar experiences with this software to frequently backup the entire "C:\programdata\retrospect folder" so I had a fresh copy of it just before the upgrade took place. I was then lucky enough to be able to remove Retrospect Multiserver 10 from my Windows 2008 R2 system, reboot, clean install 9.5 again and copy back by config files. After that, everything is working as it was before ..... PHEW!!!!

I'm really miffed about the whole process though!!! After a lot of troubleshooting, attempting several over the top 10.0.0.213 install/repairs, etc, I believe there may be a bug with this version and recommend staying away 10.0.0.213 for now if you plan to UPGRADE from an earlier version. I did install a fresh version of 10.0.0.213 for workstation as a separate test and it works fine as a clean install. I think the new version is having a hard time reading the existing catalog files and that is what is causing the issue. Then again, why couldn't I create a new backup set and recreate the catalog file from the existing backup data in this version either??? I really can't afford to rebuild from scratch in my environment as we have multiple backup sets that are several hundred GB each (a few are a couple TB each) - this probably goes the same for many others using this in a business environment. It is way too time consuming to recreate 30+ backup scripts, 30+ backup sets and then have every system backup all of that data from scratch... plus, there's no way I'm going to wipe my storage space clean to free up the necessary space again, while losing all of my backup history and retention in the process. Interestingly enough, there are 0 posts about version 10 in the forums so far, anyone else using it yet and/or able to upgrade without issues?

• Like 1

So far I have found Retrospect 10 to be stable.

The only small problem I have encountered is with this bug fix

FIXED Prevent Retrospect server from entering sleep mode during backup (#4080)

which now seems to be preventing my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit from going into a scheduled hybrid sleep state. However scheduled full hibernation still works.

The only issue I have so far is that checking for updates fails ... I don't use a proxy server, so I don't know why this is failing.

I just tried to check for updates and got the same error but to be honest I keep an eye on the forum for updates so don't use this feature.

What DNS server does your machine running Retrospect use? A while back I was having problems with my NAS complaining randomly that it could not connect to the Internet. At that time it was using my ISP's DNS via my ADSL router. When I changed it to directly use the Google DNS servers (for my connection they had the best performance) the connection problems went away. All I can think is it was a timing issue and the initial configuration was too slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Please divide your text into paragraphs.

I suggest you contact Support about each of your problems, so you can get them resolved. (This is mainly a user-to-user discussion.

Support

That was a paragraph, but I'll appease you in the future by adding more spaces to help you with your reading.  Feel free to add any troubleshooting or assistance in the future instead of critiquing the formatting of my writing. I was under the impression that this was a user-based forum for assisting others? 

I did contact support - the very same day.  Of course, they are several hours ahead (somewhere in Europe?) and did not respond until the next day.  Despite my request to be contacted in person, I only received emails for follow-up, but at least I did hear back.  Their suggestion was for me to download and install a beta version of the software that had had not been publicly released at the time.  Since I was able to revert back to 9.5 and have a working version already, I opted not to try the unreleased Beta version.

Regardless, in the end, I am now up and running with 10.0.1.103 which seems to be working correctly.  I'm not sure if it is just a more stable version, or perhaps it helped to first upgrade from 9.5.2.103 then to 9.5.3.103 before finally upgrading to the latest version of 10.0.1.103.  I was not initially aware that 9.5.3.103 was available, as my application already said it was up-to-date and only stumbled across 9.5.3.103 in the archived versions.

Either way, I'm glad to be running the latest version without the software crashing every few minutes.  If there are others out there that may run into similar issues with upgrading, I hope this provides some assistance.  

And remember, always, always, always, backup up your "C:\programdata\retrospect" folder prior to making any major changes.  Probably a good idea to use VSS or some other backup application to back up this particular directory on a regular basis (just in case).  I've had similar issues with earlier versions of Retrospect and have been able to save my configurations/settings by reverting back to a previous day (sometimes a few days back) backup copy when random Retrospect crashing would occur.  

That was a paragraph, but I'll appease you in the future by adding more spaces to help you with your reading.  Feel free to add any troubleshooting or assistance in the future instead of critiquing the formatting of my writing. I was under the impression that this was a user-based forum for assisting others? 

I did contact support - the very same day.  Of course, they are several hours ahead (somewhere in Europe?) and did not respond until the next day.  Despite my request to be contacted in person, I only received emails for follow-up, but at least I did hear back.  Their suggestion was for me to download and install a beta version of the software that had had not been publicly released at the time.  Since I was able to revert back to 9.5 and have a working version already, I opted not to try the unreleased Beta version.

Regardless, in the end, I am now up and running with 10.0.1.103 which seems to be working correctly.  I'm not sure if it is just a more stable version, or perhaps it helped to first upgrade from 9.5.2.103 then to 9.5.3.103 before finally upgrading to the latest version of 10.0.1.103.  I was not initially aware that 9.5.3.103 was available, as my application already said it was up-to-date and only stumbled across 9.5.3.103 in the archived versions.

Either way, I'm glad to be running the latest version without the software crashing every few minutes.  If there are others out there that may run into similar issues with upgrading, I hope this provides some assistance.  

And remember, always, always, always, backup up your "C:\programdata\retrospect" folder prior to making any major changes.  Probably a good idea to use VSS or some other backup application to back up this particular directory on a regular basis (just in case).  I've had similar issues with earlier versions of Retrospect and have been able to save my configurations/settings by reverting back to a previous day (sometimes a few days back) backup copy when random Retrospect crashing would occur.  

Thank you. Your post is clear, informative and easily readable.

I guess I spoke to soon.  Came into work and found the system had crashed again.  

Same behavior as before... upon attempting to check nearly any backup set (double click on it or via right click >>> properties), the Retrospect Application immediately force closes and the behavior is very repeatable.

I removed 10, rolled back to 9.5 and replaced the Retrospect directory with the Config77.dat files and once again it is working fine with 9.5.  Unfortunately, the way Retrospect is instantly crashing, it is not able to write anything to the assert.log file so I can't pinpoint what the cause is.  I had this happen back on 7.1.4 on a different server and ultimately gave up and started with a fresh config file.  At least I'm working with 9.5 so don't have to go that route (yet), but it's a real shame to pay for the the latest version and support and not be able to utilize it.  

I will attempt to contact support again and see if they can provide a bit more assistance this time.

Yes, thank you, I'm aware.  That was the one I was using as of yesterday that I thought had resolved the issue.  I was running 10.0.1.103.  It Looked good at first and was working fine when I left for the day, but crashed sometime overnight and then basically repeated the same behavior I experienced with the previous build after upgrading from 9.5 before.  I've reverted back to 9.5 for now and it is working again so I'm not dead in the water.  However, I have reached out to technical support to see what they suggest and/or if they still would like me to run procdump.exe against retrospect 10.0.1.103 now or the previous beta version (10.0.0.216.1).  Behavior seems similar so I imagine it will be against the latest, but want to check with them to be sure.

Unfortunately, the way Retrospect is instantly crashing, it is not able to write anything to the assert.log file so I can't pinpoint what the cause is.  I had this happen back on 7.1.4 on a different server and ultimately gave up and started with a fresh config file.

Check your Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable installations are in good order. I had problems in the past with sudden exits of Retrospect (and other applications) that was as best could be determined down to a corruption in the Visual C++ 2005 installation. Anyway with total removal and re-installation of Visual C++ the problems went away.