Grooming during proactive backups

Retrospect really should not be doing a Groom during a proactive backup.

Proactive backups are typically laptops, and while Retrospect 12 grooming is much faster (yay!), it still takes dozens of hours. A laptop simply isn't going to stay awake for that length of time. Even a desktop is likely going to want to sleep.

Grooming should be deferred until after the backup, or alternatively, the backup should be partially finished, but stopped, and then the groom should happen, and then the the source should be backed up again.

My problem until now is that a Groom took four days, which makes any kind of regular grooming impractical.

My solution is going to be to increase the size of the backup disks so regular grooming is unnecessary.

But I think adding a monthly Groom might not be a bad idea as well, now that Groom has sped up significantly.

Groom.... it still takes dozens of hours. 

My problem until now is that a Groom took four days, 

Yikes.

A weekend is five dozens of hours (Friday early evening to early Monday morning). 

If you reduce the number of snapshots to keep, you could get down to five dozens of hours for grooming.

Well, I believe I've solved my problem with a more brute force solution.  I bought a second set of 3 3TB, and I'll pair each of them up to make 6TB raid-0 disks and that should resolve any need to groom for the foreseeable future.

That said, I still contend that Grooming should not happen in the middle of a proactive backup.