Waiting for Execution unit

taitcyrus

I've owned Retrospect 8, 9, and I just upgraded to10 last week and all versions have periodically done the same thing. Backups work great but then stop with the next "Waiting" backup saying "Waiting for Execution unit" even though no backup is currently running and hasn't run for days. The previous backup (days prior) completed with no errors/issues.

I found if I click the "Pause" buttom (to stop all executions) and then click it again to restart things, then my backups continue OK until the next time it gets stuck.

I shouldn't have to keep monitoring Retrospect to make sure it is correctly running my scheduled backups and this hasn't been fixed in 3 different versions of Retrospect.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas would be appreciated.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem. I had it in the past with a prior version but it went away with (I think) 9.5.3. It's back now with 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 hasn't fixed it. As the OP said, pausing 'unfreezes' things, as does clicking on contigure/backup set - I'd guess there are other ways to unfreeze also.

Any help/ideas would be very welcome. I'm running Windows 7 by the way.

When Retrospect is in this condition what is on the left of the status bar at the bottom of the Retrospect window? When an execution is running there should be the red blocks that track left to right and 'One execution running...' there. When nothing is running is should show what the next scheduled execution is.

I have version 10 and I am also having this problem. Right now I cannot back up at all. The top  script in the "Waiting" tab states, "Waiting for execution unit." This has come up before in version 9. The last thing I did was cancel all executions by pressing the "pause" button on the ribbon. There are no little red bricks nor any indication of a script running. Being th ePro version, I cannot pick an execution unit. I have attached an image of the Execution screen.

Solved by restarting Retrospect.

Interestingly, I turned up logging all the way in the 'secret' menu and now it's not freezing. However, I'm not getting emails now (I was, and the test email works OK). I'm a bit reluctant to turn down the logging as it's good to have the backups working again, but I guess I'll have to in order to get to the bottom of things...

When Retrospect is in this condition what is on the left of the status bar at the bottom of the Retrospect window? When an execution is running there should be the red blocks that track left to right and 'One execution running...' there. When nothing is running is should show what the next scheduled execution is.

With the logging set to maximum it is possible the emails are now exceeding the maximum allowed size. The maximum size is a function of the SMTP server and and any intermediate servers (and out of Retrospect's control). I experienced this problem in an earlier version of Retrospect where an oversized email would silently crash Retrospect