sowen222

Email, update-check not working v10 build 213

Just installed v10 (build 213) on Windows 8.1. I changed NO settings/preferences during the upgrade.

- It is unable to send notification emails, error -592 "Invalid response from SMTP server".

- It is also unable to check for updates (reports "cannot connect").

I double-checked the Windows Firewall settings, and they allow Retrospect through. I even temporarily disabled the firewall, and still the same errors.

I have had this same problem forever (many versions). I have tried everything, and nothing works. What is the magic secret to get email notification to work?

Thanks John, your work-around for SMTP works for me too. A previous version of Retrospect had this problem, as I recall, but it was later fixed. Somehow they re-introduced it in v10.

Of course the "Check for Updates" still fails, but it wouldn't surprise me if it weren't due to a similar problem (e.g. an SSL-negotiated port).

@bdjunagan, @John Reed, I can confirm that the checkbox is missing in the Desktop version. I verified this omission with Retrospect Support via email and they have entered it as a bug.

The bug with being unable to connect to the upgrade server is still present, and Support has just ignored it, saying there are currently no updates (I used to get "you are using the latest version", now I get an error... there *is* a difference).

Thanks for helping us identify the checkbox bug. We'll have a test build ready in the next few days to address this.

@sowen222 For the upgrade issue, could you attach a screenshot of the issue to this thread or the support ticket?