Avoiding backup duplication due to replaced hard drive?

I'm fairly certain the answer to this is "no" but I figured there is no harm in asking. I have a tape backup of a folder (listed as a favorite under sources) on an external drive. The external drive fails. Is there any setting that would tell Retrospect to compare the files that are on the replacement disk (same volume/folder[favorite] name) and just continue incremental backups?

It's my understanding that the reason it starts over again is related to the new disk/volume having a new ID. But since Retrospect was so kind as to restore the file time stamps during the initial restore process, it is rather annoying (even if necessary ;-) ) for me to have to scratch this multi-tape backup set (or set it aside) and re-run the whole backup which will likely take a few days.

Using default backup settings, the answer will be "yes".

If you have "match only same location" enabled, then you might have to backup the files again.

Likewise if the external drive is connected to another computer with another version of Mac OS X. Antoher version might present different metadata to Retrospect, forcing all files to be backed up again.

Why not perform a test: Use a spare external hard drive or a USB stick. Restore perhaps 1 GB of files from the tapes. Then run a manual backup until you can see on screen how much data Retrospect intends to backup. You don't have to run the actual backup (actual file copying) for this.