Proactive backups not running

mteehan

Hello,

Most of my backups are set up as scripts (all currently working fine) but I have a few that run daily as Proactive Backups. At one point or another, all of these backups have worked fine.

Backup A pulls from a single folder on a server. This works fine.

Backup B pulls from five folders across three servers and a NAS. The directories on two of the servers are not working all of a sudden (since the end of January).

Backup C backs up an entire server every night. This last ran on January 30th. It now gives no indications that it's even trying to run. I haven't had a chance to reboot the server itself yet but I did restart the Retrospect service. You still think I'd get at least an error.

Backup D backs up our Exchange 2010 mailbox server. This hasn't been working but more on this in a bit. Again, I haven't had a chance to reboot the server itself yet but I did restart the Retrospect service.

Backup E backs up a single Windows 7 PC. This won't run unless I remove the schedule I've specified for the proactive backup script. It's done nothing for months. Today I set it to Always Active and suddenly it worked.

The story behind Backup D (the Exchange server): This server basically died. A new VM was created and the last good backup we had of this server was restored to this new VM a few weeks ago. I removed the Retrospect client from the restored server and re-installed it. I also deleted the old backup script and backup set and recreated them. Now the script doesn't run at all. No messages, no errors, nothing. It's like it doesn't even try.

When I look at the Proactive tab in the Activity Monitor all the backups I'm having issues with say "ASAP" in the Next Backup column. They don't have any errors or anything in the Status section.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we're running Retrospect 9.5.3.103 Multi Server and I do have an Exchange license.

EDIT 2: Restarting the Retrospect service again seems to have fixed Backup C.

Sounds like quite a setup.

For Procative or Scripted backups to run they must be enabled, within their scheduled run times, and the source volume, and destination backupset must be available and not in use by any other Retro job or task.

From your description you may have some overlapping in your setup.

Perhaps try disabling (or even deleting) all your scripts and then run them manually (Run Now) one at a time to check their basic functionality.

THen you can troubleshoot the scheduling.