COM+ REGDB errors during backup

-     01/06/2015 4:00:06 AM: Copying Local Disk (C:)
            Backing up 0 out of 7 files using block level incremental backup, storing full backups for remaining 7.
            File "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\log.txt": can't read, error -1020 ( sharing violation)
            VssWSetCompResult: res =1,101
            Writer "COM+ REGDB Writer" backup failed, error -1101 ( file/directory not found).
            Component "COM+ REGDB" backup failed, error -1101 ( file/directory not found).

01/06/2015 4:10:52 AM: Snapshot stored, 252.6 MB

Is there anything I can do to address the COM+ REGDB errors? They occur while backing up files on the backup server itself. This has been happening for several months since before the current version. I have Single Server 9.5.3.103.

• Like 1

Hi,

Running single server I suspect you do not have the Open File Add On.

File "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\log.txt": can't read, error -1020 ( sharing violation) is a system log file which is probably open by windows all the time, and thus Retro cannot back it up.

So you have two choices, 1. Get the Open File add On or 2. Exclude the files from backup by adding them to a selector.

See my post on selectors for more insight http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/151365-how-to-nesting-selectors/

In my experience there are usually quite a few of these system files which are always open and can never be backed up on a running system

Inspecting them carefully will reveal most of them are either log files, or temp files, and they can be excluded.

This keeps your Backup logs clean so you do not get used to having dozens of errors and ignoring them. Eventually you will ignore an important error and suffer the consequenc es.

I always strive to have a normal backup run without any errors in the Backup log.

Incidentally, Block level backup by default is only invoked for files over 100MB so either this is a very big log, or maybe you have lowered the BLI threshold.

Is the (Windows) user running the backup an administrator?

Have you tried running CHKDSK on the C: drive?

Yes, the user is an administrator.

I hadn't run a disk check in a while, so I've just run one on reboot. We'll have to wait for the next scheduled backup to see if it takes effect.

Running single server I suspect you do not have the Open File Add On.

File "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\log.txt": can't read, error -1020 ( sharing violation) is a system log file which is probably open by windows all the time, and thus Retro cannot back it up.

I always strive to have a normal backup run without any errors in the Backup log.

Correct, I do not have the add-on. I like to have the logs clean too, so I do have some selectors in place already, and I add more as I have the time.

Incidentally, Block level backup by default is only invoked for files over 100MB so either this is a very big log, or maybe you have lowered the BLI threshold.

I snipped out some lines, but it's nice to know I can adjust the threshold. My main concern was with the REGDB errors, which may be related to doing a local backup instead of a client-based backup.

• 3 weeks later...