Error 1101 on mac fix?

Hi

I'm new to Retrospect (taken over from a colleague who has now left) so please bear with me.

We run a Daily and Weekly back up to two separate external drives. Both have been running fine but the daily back up has been failing since Monday, I keep getting the message 'error - 1101 (file/directory not found). I've shutdown all machines and restarted the server and retrospect but continue to get the same message.

Are files are broken down alphabetically in 3 main folders A-H, I-N and O-Z. O-Z had been accidentally dragged into I-N and I think the back up has been confused by this, but have move it back now. I think this may have caused the error but it can't seem to get passed it now.

Would wiping the Daily back up drive and doing a fresh one work or has anyone got any more sound advice?

All suggestions gratefully received.

The server is running OSX 10.7.5 and Retrospect is version 10.1.0 (221) I haven't updated either as it's run fine until now and I assumed there must be a reason it's not been updated further before.

Many thanks

I see. It looks like Retrospect has lost its catalog file (or maybe the member disk itself).

The default location where Catalog Files are saved on the Retrospect server is /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Catalogs/.

If you find the catalog file there, just double click it for Retrospect to find it (again).

OK, you need to locate the catalog for Media Set A, which will have the name "Media Set A.rbc," not "Media Set.rbc" (the latter is probably the second media set that's listed on the left sidebar, an is probably what you're using for your successful weekly backups). It's probably easiest to look for it in Finder. Once you know the directory path, go to the Media Sets pane in the Retrospect Console app, click on the Locate button, and navigate to the correct directory location.

In Retrospect, each media set consists of two components: the catalog file and a bunch of data files. If you can't find Media Set A.rbc, you will need to rebuild the catalog file from the media containing the backup data, which can take some time, depending on how much data has been backed up. I'd recommend storing all catalog files in the default location, which is /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Catalogs on the backup server. The Rebuild button is visible in the Media Sets pane.

Incidentally, while the screenshot of the Backup pane you attached did have enough information in its log excerpt to answer today's question, the entire operations log can be viewed by selecting View:Log from the menu bar.

Hi Twickland, thanks for your help.

I've searched for Media Set A.rbc and the only place I can find it is on the external hard drive where the back up is stored, is this going to be the correct source that I need to link it to? As it seems odd that it on the external drive instead of the hard drive.

Thanks again

I've searched for Media Set A.rbc and the only place I can find it is on the external hard drive where the back up is stored, is this going to be the correct source that I need to link it to? As it seems odd that it on the external drive instead of the hard drive.

That's probably the file you want. However, I'd recommend copying this catalog file to the local hard drive volume on the backup server, preferably to the same location as the other media set catalog, and then pointing Retrospect to this location rather than the one on the external drive.

Assuming this is successful, I'd also recommend that you then delete the catalog file from the external volume so you don't get confused about which version is the correct one.

Hi

Sorry about this, I've copied the Media Set A.rbc over and tried to 'locate' it in Retrospect. but when I find the file and click 'OK' button it doesn't do anything (the button is highlighted blue when I click on the .rbc file so should work). I've attached the screen shot I'm on to make sure in the right place.

Do you have any other advice do I need to 'rebuild' or 'repair'?

Again any advice gratefully received.

post-83492-0-16082200-1416218145_thumb.jpg

Your screenshot shows that Retrospect thinks the catalog is on volume "Back Up One," which I'm assuming is the external drive where the backup data is stored and not your boot volume. Are you saying that if you navigate to the correct location on your boot volume and click OK, the catalog path doesn't change in the Media Sets pane?

If that's indeed the case, I'd try stopping and restarting the Retrospect engine in System Preferences to see if that makes any difference .

If it doesn't, you'll need to remove Media Set A from the media sets list (click on the Remove button) and then re-add it. Before you do that, though, make a note of which scripts use Media Set A and what their schedule of operations is, because you will need to manually add Media Set A back as a destination in those scripts and recreate the schedules.