This has happened on several backups lately. Retrospect 10.5 is backing up both the computer it's installed on (iMac 2006 model running OS 10.7.5) and a Mac laptop. The media sets are all kept on a 4TB Drobo, connected to the iMac. The backups for iMac run at 1am, and the backups for the laptop run at 2am. So I'm not there to watch them run. Checking in the morning, I found that the iMac backup failed due to "error -1101 ( file/directory not found)"

I selected the media set, and clicked verify. The response window said that "An error has occurred," and no verify operation ensued. Then I looked at the Summary window. It reported that the set contained no members. I didn't really know what to do at that point, so I quit the application and worked on getting to a place where I could call tech support. A few hours later, I sat down at the computer again, and lo and behold, there was a member in the media set! I quickly selected the script to do the backup into that set, and it ran with no errors, completing in just about six minutes.

Does anyone have a clue how a media set manages to "lose" a member, what I can do to recover from it, and/or how does the media set later "find" that member, with no intervention by me?

Thanks, everyone, for whatever insight you may be able to provide.

Elaine Poe

elaine@natca.net