Media Set deleted before marking tapes as lost

Hi,

I'm fairly new to using Retrospect. A few months ago, I set up a test media set with a single LTO tape as a member to test copying files to LTO tape. Since then, I have a different media set that I actually use. I wanted to get rid of this old Media Set since we don't use it and it was just for testing purposes.

I tried to remove the LTO tape as a member from this set, but the little minus sign button was greyed out. I couldn't figure out how to remove it from the media set. I just ended up deleting the whole media set without removing the tape from it first.

I've since realized that the way you "remove" a tape from the set is to mark it as "Lost." That's not very intituitve.

Anyways, my question is this: how do I use this LTO tape that hasn't been marked as "lost" from this original test media set? When I put it in and try to add it to a new media set, it does not give me the option to delete and erase the tape. It gives an error message of the most unhelpful kind--- it merely says "An error has occurred." in a pop up window.

Is there a Retrospect log somewhere that might give me more information on what's happening?

I have removed the media set. Where do I go to erase the tape? The only place I've seen for this in the past is when you add a new tape to a Media set as a member. It asks "Are you sure you want to erase everything on this tape?" When I tried to add the LTO tape I did my testing with to my actual Media Set, it gave me that dialog and I hit "OK." However, then it gave me the popup "an error has occurred" message. 

I have removed the media set. Where do I go to erase the tape?

Are you sure that the tape isn't write-protected? (Be sure the little slider is open.) 

If you're still having trouble erasing the tape in the Media Sets window, try going to Storage Devices, highlighting the desired tape, and clicking Erase.

Lennart and Twickland,

Thank you for your advice. I'll try this out later today.

One final off-topic question: is there an easy way to browse the Retrospect catalogue? Like, for files I've already archived. Where's the most user friendly interface to see what you've archived and what tape it's on?

One final off-topic question: is there an easy way to browse the Retrospect catalogue? Like, for files I've already archived. Where's the most user friendly interface to see what you've archived and what tape it's on?

Unfortunately, Retrospect has never made it possible to view what files were written to a given Media Set member, even though the software clearly has to know this. Our workaround for tapes is to always mark the starting date and time on each tape member so we can relate a given file's backup date/time as listed in the catalogue to the appropriate tape member.

Unfortunately, Retrospect has never made it possible to view what files were written to a given Media Set member, even though the software clearly has to know this. Our workaround for tapes is to always mark the starting date and time on each tape member so we can relate a given file's backup date/time as listed in the catalogue to the appropriate tape member.

This is a good solution. Thanks for the advice. I'll do the same.