Lost Media Sets in retrospect

BillyT

Upon starting retrospect, it asked for my license code.  After re-entering it, All of my media sets from previous backups were no longer listed in RS.  I have already removed the Config80.dat and hoped it would rebuild from the Config80.bak.  No luck.  I have my folder with all the different catalogue files in it still.  I tried to add a set back using the locate option but when I click on the .rbc file it does nothing.

Is there a way to rebuild my config80 file without having to go through every tape set individually and rebuilding from the set?  

Config80 is not a file that can be rebuilt, though if you were backing that file up, you should be able to retrieve it from the tapes. Of course you'll need access to the catalog file to do this.

Since you had to re-enter the license code, you should have launched with a clean configuration. This should enable you to easily locate and add your media set catalog information. It's strange that you're having trouble doing this, but Retro 8 had some odd bugs that were solved in later versions.

With the console not running, try stopping and restarting Retrospect Engine and see if this makes any difference. If it doesn't, I would uninstall and reinstall both the Retrospect Engine and Console app. (Remove both Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect before performing the reinstalls.)

We did have a few issues with Retro 8 that were solve by a reinstall. I assume you're running Retro 8.2. If not, you should be, as this was the only reasonably-stable version of Retro 8.

If you have a good Config80.bak the following steps should get you back to where you were:

Restore (if necessary) the Config80.bak

Stop the engine

Remove both Config80.dat and Config80.bak from the following directory: /Library/Application Support/Retrospect

Move the good Config80.bak to the above directory

Rename the Config80.bak to Config80.dat

Start the engine

If this is done properly you should see all your media sets, rules, schedules, etc. and Retrospect should launch without asking for a license code.

Unfortunately I do not have a good config80 file.  The bak seems to have been over written with the empty data.  I did find that most of the catalogue files will import using the locate function.  The one I was originally trying seems to be corrupt.  It was also the last thing I tried backing up before I had these problems.  I should be able to import all the other sets and then rebuild that catalogue file from the tape set.

• 10 months later...

With the console not running, try stopping and restarting Retrospect Engine and see if this makes any difference. If it doesn't, I would uninstall and reinstall both the Retrospect Engine and Console app. (Remove both Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect before performing the reinstalls.)