v11.01 hangs, . . . all the time.

Mac 10.6.8

Hi everyone,

I have upgraded to v11, and then to v11.01. It just hangs on every mouse click/operation. Activity monitor shows 100% cpu usage. What is going on here. In all my years using all sorts of Mac software, Retrospect seems by far the worse. I would love to chuck it out, and try some other backup software, but that would mean starting all over again, which I can't do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Retrospect, pull you sock up!

• Like 1

10.6.8 seems a little 'old' for v11, doesn't it?  What Mac are you on?  I'm running 11 on a Mac MINI and it works great, but it is a 2.6GHz i7 with 8GB RAM.  Even before the newer MINI I was running v9 on OS 10.5.8 on a 2006 MINI without issues.  A little more info on your Mac could help...

Just read the specs for v11 and I apologize... it does say compatible with 10.6.8.  Still, which Mac?  I'm running a backup right now and Retrospect is using 28% CPU according to Activity Monitor.

Eric has a point, the OS is quite old. But I think it may be not enough RAM, or corrupt prefs files.

First, setup another admin user account in MacOS, and try a test backup, to see if your current prefs/setup is causing the problem.

Then redo your preferences - move them out of your user folder and relauch Retrospect, and resetup.

Second, how much RAM do you have on your Mac dingbat29? This may explain the naff operation of the software. If it is 4GB or less, then you really need to install more, 8GB is good, 16GB better, but that might seem excessive.

Thirdly, at a later point in time, upgrade the OS to Mavericks, once you've put more RAM in. I know that Retrospect 10.5 works nicely in 10.9.x, generally speaking. So unless you have to do a lot of software updates, going to Mavericks might save you quite a bit of trouble.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated. Sorry its been a few days in replying.

Our system:

OSX 10.6.8

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB Ram.

This is a stand-alone machine, that we use purely for backup, and maybe a bit of scanning. But nothing else. From what I can make out, these specs seem to fall within Retrospect's requirements, however, I am going to update to Mavericks, and probably increase the RAM to 8GB, just for the hell of it.

I have had a look for a pref file, but the only thing I can find is the .prefPane, which is within System Preferences, so I'm not sure I can dump that.

regards

David

I have had a look for a pref file, but...

Retrospect's preferences and a whole lot of other data, including rules, sources, scripts, and even the list of recent backups, are stored in the file Config80.dat, located at Library/Application Support/Retrospect.

Don't trash it unless absolutely necessary. Instead, quit the Retrospect console, stop the Retrospect engine, and drag both Config80.dat and Config80.bak to the Desktop or somewhere else safe so you can put it back in the event you don't notice any difference with a clean configuration.

If you do trash the config files, remember that you'll need to recreate all your scripts, rules, source lists, etc., by hand. There is no provision for exporting any of this data; you can't even print the information except by taking a bunch of screenshots.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

10.6.8 seems a little 'old' for v11, doesn't it?  What Mac are you on?  I'm running 11 on a Mac MINI and it works great, but it is a 2.6GHz i7 with 8GB RAM.  Even before the newer MINI I was running v9 on OS 10.5.8 on a 2006 MINI without issues.  A little more info on your Mac could help...

Just read the specs for v11 and I apologize... it does say compatible with 10.6.8.  Still, which Mac?  I'm running a backup right now and Retrospect is using 28% CPU according to Activity Monitor.

I run the retro engine on 10.6.8 as well. Since that was the last real server OS from Apple, I believe there are probably a lot of Retrospect Server installs running on that OS.