Backup Script bypassing the full backup?

I have searched through the forums but I cannot even think of how to word this. Here is my scenario, hoping if someone can tell me if this is possible.

I have an 80Tb server that I backup disk to disk on my Retrospect Server via 10Gb ethernet. I use a "Duplicate" instead of a "Backup" script so that I have live files ready to go if our main server has issues.

So what I would like to do is have a second set of scripts that do normal incremental backups daily as snapshots. However I do NOT want to do another full backup for these as it takes so long and I already have it via the duplicate scripts. So is there anyway to just "catalog" a drive and then do a backup of only changes after the time of the "catalog"?

Appreciate if anyone can think of a way to pull this off.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

It's not clear to me exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Are you wanting to back up only those files that have changed since the last duplication? Or are you just wanting to have a listing (i.e., a snapshot) of the files that were on the server as of a specific date, without making copies of the actual files?

If it's the first one, I agree with Lennart; I don't believe you can do this without performing an initial full backup. If storage space is the issue, you could then have Retrospect skip to a new member and erase the first member (the one with the full backup) without telling Retrospect you did this. Not saying I'd recommend this; just that you could do it.

If it's the second one, I think it can be accomplished by running backups using the No Files rule. This should create a snapshot without actually backing up anything.

A third option would be to write a rule to back up only those files with a creation date or modification date after the date/time of your duplication operation. This would, of course, not back up any files that were newly-written to the server that happened to have earlier creation/modification dates, nor ones for which the OS did not adjust the modification date.  Perhaps, though, this would do enough of what you need.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and use Retrospect as intended: perform a full backup with subsequent incremental backups.

• Like 1