Ver.9 block-level limitations?

Hi, is there some limitations for file size to be processed by block level? I have 900 GB file and in second backup log says that file is backed up fully, without block-level. So, I canceled backup. Upgraded my trial 45day version to 9.0.1, deleted backup-set and now started from beginning with first backup. But it takes about 1 day to complete before I can start testing with second backup and then find out do block-level works or not. I also tested with smaller file, 110 MB and in second backup it processes block-level fine. Is my 900 GB file too big for block-level? Why block-level wasnt worked with it? Thanx! 

What is your 900GB file? Certain file types are more suitable to block level backup than others. If you haven't already done so have a look at the User Guide section on Block Level Incremental Backup for more details:

http://www.retrospect.com/uk/documentation/user_guide/win/block_level_incremental_backup

I have already readed it. The 900 GB file is vmware workstation preallocated virtual disk file, backed up while snapshot was taken (while no writes, only reads from it), name is  -  storage-flat.vmdk

But its not VMWare volume, its just regular file, I can temporarily also change its extension if this is problem. Its Workstation file that I want to backup offline......Also I noticed some other problem. My storage set was made into other computers USB3 drive through share, 1GB LAN, but it stops backup and log says that this share looses network connection.

The only VMDK files I use with VMware Workstation are the 'twoGbMaxExtentFlat' type which seem to work with the block level feature. (Mostly Linux guests on Windows hosts.)

But its not VMWare volume, its just regular file, I can temporarily also change its extension if this is problem.

I doubt changing the file extension would have any effect. Retrospect will treat any file over 100MB as eligible unless it one of the few types currently known to be unsuitable.

My storage set was made into other computers USB3 drive through share, 1GB LAN, but it stops backup and log says that this share looses network connection.

Not the best configuration for reliability/stability. Is there a reason why the USB3 drive cannot be connected directly to the backup server? Is the other computer being used for anything else while the backup is running?

The only VMDK files I use with VMware Workstation are the 'twoGbMaxExtentFlat' type which seem to work with the block level feature. (Mostly Linux guests on Windows hosts.)

I doubt changing the file extension would have any effect. Retrospect will treat any file over 100MB as eligible unless it one of the few types currently known to be unsuitable.

Not the best configuration for reliability/stability. Is there a reason why the USB3 drive cannot be connected directly to the backup server? Is the other computer being used for anything else while the backup is running?

Its not important that its vmware file. I can rename it if problem is with extension. Question is in large files. Because small files work with block level. Where at all Retrospect puts this blocks checksums. Into data set or into catalog file. Seems it just looses this information and therefore in second time starts backing up full file. Also I have latest version, through update. Now I try to make backup with Ahsay, its also have block-level feature. USB3 drive I cant connect directly to server because server dont have USB3 and also dont enough free space. Usually I have enough room in my storage, but now I need to archive this large file because I need to broke mirror and make new raid and its large raid array and then copy this file back from backup. Of course I can just copy it with explorer but maybe sometimes in future I also need to do the same thing and its time consuming to copy it. Therefore block level is very good thing. Previously I tested with rsync, its command-line delta-copy (blocl-level) software, but rsync dont like USB at all and its not work also there. 

Were you testing the smaller files to the same USB3 drive connect to the other computer? Are the smaller files you tested on the same RAID volume as the VMDK file?

Although Retrospect don't specify where the checksums are stored my guess would be they are in the catalog file. For your 900GB file this would be around 450,000 blocks it will need to track.

I made second test with this big file and block level seems working. The only thing that in first time was differ was that I moved catalog file into different location. Is this catalog file location moving allowed operation in Retrospect? Seems while its moved into other location, it looses block-level checksums. Also there was one other strange thing - I wasnt able to enter catalog file location in Retrospect window where it asks catalog file location, it just says that there isnt file when I select it in window, altough its there and visible. Then I opened Totalcommander, right-click to catalog file and opened it with Retrospect and then it finally find file.

I have 900 GB file and in second backup log says that file is backed up fully, without block-level. So, I canceled backup. Upgraded my trial 45day version to 9.0.1

I made second test with this big file and block level seems working. The only thing that in first time was differ was that I moved catalog file into different location. 

Updating to 9.0.1 did the difference as explained by the release notes for 9.0.1.

Retrospect catalog files can be moved but ideally they want to be on a fast drive. Unless file associations have been changed, double-clicking on the catalog file at the new location should automatically open it in Retrospect.

For performance reasons it is better if the catalog file is on a different drive to the backup set files. If you do move a catalog file it is also a good idea to check that the location(s) of the backup set member(s) are correct.