Retrospect 7.7 Windows, error -1017

smithpd

I am using Windows Retrospect Professionsl 7.7.620 (32 bit).  I am running a backup script on a client's C: drive.  I get the following error immediately on starting the script:

Can't use Open File Backup option for Local Disk (C:) on xxxx_pc, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions)

Then it proceeds to run and verify the complete backup with a few (6) other errors, mainly about different modify dates changing on files such as log files.

What exactly does this error mean, and how can I fix it?  I never saw this before.

This is a fresh install of Retrospect on a rebuilt hard drive.  It previously ran without errors.  Windows Firewall has Retrospect and Retrospect client properly excluded on both sides.

What do you mean by "a rebuilt hard drive"? What version of Windows are you running?

The error is telling you that the user account that Retrospect is running under does not have the necessary permissions to access that item. This can be because the permissions for that user account have been changed and/or the permissions set for the item Retrospect is trying to access have been corrupted or changed.

What do you mean by "a rebuilt hard drive"? What version of Windows are you running?

The error is telling you that the user account that Retrospect is running under does not have the necessary permissions to access that item. This can be because the permissions for that user account have been changed and/or the permissions set for the item Retrospect is trying to access have been corrupted or changed.

By rebuilt hard drive, I mean that it is a fresh install of Windows on a drive that previously did not have Windows installed.  I am using Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

I don't understand how I could not have the permissions.  I am an administrator with full control on both the server and the client computers.  Why would not matter with the client setup? Can't the client computer operator change permissions and still have the backup work?

Anyway, I think I know what may have caused the problem, but I do not know why.  Just before running the script I made a share of the C drive on the client computer, giving me full access. With the share active, I got the 1017 errors. Then I removed the share and ran the backup again. This time I did not get the 1017 error, but I got a bunch of 1011 errors when comparing after the snapshot.  Not liking that, I changed the script to output to a new Backup Set and ran the script again.  This time, it ran without errors.

So, it is working now, but I don't know why, and I don't know why it failed before. Can you shed any light on this?

I had visions of a crashed system that had been resurrected using dubious methods!

It is a while since I have done any file sharing on Windows XP but I remember that Windows XP file sharing could be a bit of a black art at times — whether or not the simple file sharing wizard was used made a difference. Sharing the C: drive may well have changed some permissions which reverted to the correct settings when you removed the share.

Also as just general good practice it is not a good idea to share the C: drive (unless exceptional circumstances warrant it).

Thanks for your help. I understand about the C drive. That is why I removed the share soon after i made it.  It just happened by coincidence to make Retrospect work.

In fact, I did install the OS by a slightly dubious method.  I won't go into detail, because I think it does not matter. The end result is that the OS and Retrospect seem to be working.