Sign in to follow this  
ggirao

One Tape from a Media Set

Hello all,

I'm restoring big data from a 4 TAPES LTO media set with about 1 year old, and on 2nd attempt from restoring all data the restore process doesn't go further on 3rd TAPE. It keeps saying reading and I waited about 1 day long. 

I also tried to rebuild catalog from the media set, but I get an error when I have to select folder of catalog destination.

Any clues?

Update. I successfully started the Rebuild catalog process (moving the desired 3rd tape to drive) and is about 4GB and still doing (since 10PM last night). The weird stuff is the drive shows as idle (on monitor from the tape drive) and retrospect is like hanged. I still left it running because i see the retro engine process running and the new catalog file is still increasing

Update2. Now the process is running with drive reading. IT Already swap the tape for another one.I Hope that now is ok.

PS - Catalog file is huge, is about 14GB and still increasing.

Explain me please!

Check the Operations Log. There are likely to be some errors reported. You will need to decide whether the errors are important or not.

On a side note, you can set the catalog file to be compressed, if you select the catalogue in media sets list, and under options, I think. This will compress the catalog the next time you do a backup to this media set, by at least 50%.

All done!

After rebuilding media set I restored an (big) folder and sucess!

Bless LTO & Retrospect