Version 11 Experiences - Does it work?

I have a simple question to other users who have upgraded from 10 to 11. Does it work?

Major Retrospect x.0 upgrades have been rather disastrous for me since the good old 6.x days. Before I jump, I'm just wondering if there are any show stoppers in 11.0. 

My gut tells me to wait for v 11.1 or even 11.2 based on my personal experience. 

• Like 1

I have no showstoppers with 11.0 at this point.  However, 10.5 was pretty rock-solid for me in how I used it.

The only "known issue" that is most irritating to me at this point is the fact that manually removing a Past Backup does not update the list to reflect the removal unless you stop and restart the console.   That's a new bug in 11.0 and I hope that one is fixed quickly.

Don't know why I spent nearly £700 for this 'upgrade'.

It still doesn't 'see' clients even when they are listed in the add source page.   Only after restarting the engine (that's a joke, having to wait sometimes 10 minutes or more to do so) will it deign to back up the odd client and then just stop.   Rebuilding the thing is useless as it doesn't resolve anything.

The Dashboard, when it displays, doesn't show accurate information ie. a client is actively being backed up doesn't show and recent backups are all zero for all days.

When the engine succesfully stops the Retrospect app frequently crashes.

For software which should largley be automatic is incresingly demanding more of my time managing it

I have been using Retrospect ever since it first came out eons ago and if it wasn't for the fact that I have never had a problem restoring from a backup I would have used another vendor.

Avoid.

Well, against my better judgement, I put v11 in. :)

I seem to be having a repeat of many of the v10.0 issues I had;

1) The console is unexpectedly quitting often.

2) I'm attempting to upgrade the clients to v11 via the console and, like 10.x, the process seems hit or miss. Some clients will update, most will not. The ones than do update will not show the correct version until either the client is renamed (a trick I discovered with v 10.x) or the console restarted. 2/3 of the clients will not accept an upgrade via the console. I haven't visited each in person yet, but with 10.x, a manual update always worked.

v11 bugs are far more likely to be fixed than v10. If it's no worse than v10, you've "moved the ball".

Block level backups have a lot of potential. I have not yet had much chance to use them, but they have the potential to change my backup strategies, because some large files that ate up enormous backup space, will now be reasonable to back up on a frequent schedule.

v11 bugs are far more likely to be fixed than v10. If it's no worse than v10, you've "moved the ball".

Block level backups have a lot of potential. I have not yet had much chance to use them, but they have the potential to change my backup strategies, because some large files that ate up enormous backup space, will now be reasonable to back up on a frequent schedule.

The frequent console quitting of 10.0 was finally solved after working with Retrospect tech support and a couple of new builds, so I've gone backwards a bit there. I'm as excited about block level backups as I am fearful of enabling them until I hear from others that it's reliable.

If you rely on a regularly cleaning of your media sets: DON'T USE! 

1st: There is a excessive memory handling problem (see RetroEngine 11: Crash/Hang due to Out of Memory Issue - Retrospect bug reports - Retrospect Forum)

2nd: If you are using block level incremental copy the media sets will be converted and cannot be used with version 10, therefor NO WAY BACK once used

regards

• 2 weeks later...