scotia

simple advice on installing and using

I am a photographer with thousands of images. I have been backing up for many years by just dragging folders to a second drive.

I want to try Retrospect but I am totally confused by the manuals and help files.

With terminology such as server, client, engine, licence which is meaningless to me, I dont have a diploma in computer science. I am stuck as I cant use it.

I have a single Mac I want to back up, can I get some advice on how to use this confusing application,

If you are still confused after watching the video you can think of each as the following:

Engine = The process that does the actual backup.

Server = The computer that runs the engine.

Client = Any computer that gets backed up by the engine.

License = Authorization required for each client to be backed up.

In your case the server and the client would be the same machine (your single mac).  The version best suited for your setup would be the Desktop version.

If you are still confused after watching the video you can think of each as the following:

Server = The computer that runs the engine.

Client = Any computer that gets backed up by the engine.

Retrospect can back up files on the Server, not just Clients. The interface for backing up files on the Server is different to the interface for backing up files on Clients, so this isn't just a trivial distinction.

Lennart. Thanks I will play this back when I try out the application today

Daniels. Excellent description thank you.

prl. I have just one Mac to backup, a lot of files created over ten years, do I use server or client to do this, what the difference?

prl. I have just one Mac to backup, a lot of files created over ten years, do I use server or client to do this, what the difference?

Then you don't need to worry about using a client (and not worry about installing the client software).

Your Mac IS the Retrospect server.