!Trouble Reading - Error

Retrospect 10.5.0, OS X 10.8.5

When writing to an LTO Tape set via Quantum LTO 5 tape writer, I just got this error, causing the script to be unsucessful.  I haven't been able to narrow the cause down yet.  Below is the error log, has anyone had this problem before?  I'm worried the tape drive may have died..

(Replaced names with "XXXXXXX" for privacy reasons)

"

+   Normal backup using XXXXXXX at 1/28/14
    To Backup Set XXXXXXX...
    -  1/28/14 1:45:59 PM: Copying XXXXXXX on ACCESS_01
    1/28/14 1:45:59 PM: No files need to be copied
    !Trouble reading: "XXXXXXX" (8307256), error -206 ( drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)
    !Trouble reading: "XXXXXXX" (8307256), error -206 ( drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)
    !Trouble positioning: "XXXXXXX" (8307256), error -206 ( drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)
    !Trouble positioning: "XXXXXXX" (8307256), error -206 ( drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)
    Additional error information for device "Quantum Ultrium 5 DC" [0:0],
  Sense > f0 00 03 00 00 00 03 10 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 50 84
  (︠祒翿     |︠祒翿             |︠祒翿 )
    !Catalog File out of sync with Media Set "XXXXXXX".
    1/28/14 2:33:09 PM: Execution incomplete
    Duration: 00:47:09 (00:31:11 idle/loading/preparing)

1/28/14 2:33:09 PM: Execution incomplete
    Total duration: 00:47:09 (00:31:11 idle/loading/preparing)

"

Thanks!

Retrospect 10.5.0, OS X 10.8.5

(︠祒翿     |︠祒翿             |︠祒翿 )  

When is Retrospect going to do something to make that "additional error information" actually useful for something? I've tried Google Translate on it. Doesn't help. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

The -206 generally indicates a low-level I/O error, e.g. a SCSI error, though there may be other causes of it.

Sense > f0 00 03 00 00 00 03 10 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 50 84

This encodes the actual error.  In this case, $11/00 is the error, which is UNRECOVERED READ ERROR.  It might indicate a bad tape, or a drive which needs cleaning, etc.  It's not one of the errors which is likely due to the drive itself failing, at least.

• Like 1

I have seen this issue arise in several situations:  The drive has not been cleaned recently, the media itself is damaged and is unreadable, and/or Retrospect has lost connection to the library.  Usually it is the first two cases and running the cleaning tape through a couple of times in a row should fix it unless the media is actually damaged which in that case you would actually need to replace the media.

Thanks for the replies thus far.  I tried to run a different script to a different media set(also LTO Tape) and it has been running without issue.  It seems like the tape might have been the issue, I am going to try again and will let you guys know.

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies.  It was indeed a bad tape.  I'm not sure what caused it, but there have been no issues since getting rid of that tape.

I did have to re-run the script to write to a new tape.  It was member #2, meaning member #1 was already completed.  What I did was recycled the media set, but that meant wiping member #1.  Is there a way of having the script pick up from where member #1 left off, and just re-write member #2?