.rdb files

Hi,

I have a job running that backups a file that is 45GB and we groom after 3 Days. So one would think that the disk needed would be 45*3=135GB. The grooming is working fine but why is the .rdb files remaining and growing ?

Insted of 135gb it is recuiring at the time 350GB, and growing.

Thanks!

//MJ

• Like 2

When I check the numbers of backups it is correct, 3 Days. But why is there .rdb files from when the job was created (a couple of weeks ago), when I check other jobs its the same, grooming works fine and leveas only tha numbers of backups that I have choosen. But all of them has .rdb files from when the backupset was created. So they all need more backupspace then one would think. Like in this case I thought that 150GB would be enough but it is just going to grow every day even if the grooming does its job. I understand tha the first backup i the fullbackup then it is just incremental but when we sell to customers they pay for the diskspace used, and it should not be more then in this example 3*45=135GB,

It never shows more than 3 backups.

We keep 5 backups and it shows 5 backups:

post-8868-0-96632500-1380876760_thumb.png

I click on Add. Now you see that I have 9 backups actually in the backup set (and I have selected number 9 for my computer).

post-8868-0-61437400-1380876836_thumb.png

Now I click retrieve and get 6 backups:

post-8868-0-37108000-1380876889_thumb.png

Note that number 6 is locked and I have to "forget" it manually.

The old rdb files indicates that you have backed up files during the first backup that are still there (and hasn't changed since). Start a "restore" to see which files you have actually backed up that you didn't want to backup. (You can cancel the restore after you have browsed the files.)

When I click add, I only see one, when I start a restore i can only choose from 3 backups 2/10, 3/10, 4/10. So I can't restore older then 3 backups.

It is only 2 files that is backed up. and they change every day. So why is the rdb files filling up and requiring so much space?, it should only need 135GB, not 300 and growing.

Let us say you have a file on a client that was created in 2010. It has not changed since then and not deleted.

Say you create a backup set and schedule backups starting in 2011. You keep the last 14 backups.

This backup has now been running for about two years and has been groomed numerous times, but the rdb files containing the file I mentioned should still be there and should still be dated 2011.

Now, for THIS backup set, where the files indeed change for every backup, it is a mystery why the old rdb files are still there.

Back to the example above: The file is now deleted (from all clients). The rdb files should be deleted by grooming after 14 backups. (If the file is partly in an rdb file, that file should be modified by grooming after 14 backups.

• 2 months later...

They all need more backupspace then one would think. Like in this case I thought that 150GB would be enough but it is just going to grow every day even if the grooming does its job. I understand tha the first backup i the fullbackup then it is just incremental but when we sell to customers they pay for the diskspace used, and it should not be more then in this example 3*45=135GB,