jsobel

Cloning with Retrospect 10

Does anyone have experience with cloning a complete disk using Retrospect 10.

I have tried it, and always end up with 2000+ execution errors. Things like:

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/share/man/man3/Tcl_Close.3tcl": can't link to "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/share/man/man3/Tcl_Seek.3tcl", error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

In this case the error message is clearly misleading since both files are found on their respective locations.

Other error messages are of the type:

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Retrospect/Retrospect.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources/pt.lproj/SUUpdatePermissionPrompt.nib": different data size (src: 12723, dest: 0)

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/mdworker32_2013-08-27-161621_SEABB-IS-12066.cpu_resource.spin": appears incomplete

It only shows 500 messages, so there may be many others.

Can I trust the clone ? 

I log out before the clone is performed so that there will be a minimum of open files and other activity going on, by of no avail.

P.S I can't find a practical way to search this forum. Just the complete website. Any hints?

I log out before the clone is performed so that there will be a minimum of open files and other activity going on

Even when you're logged out of OS X there is a lot of open file activity. Expecting to get an exact clone of a running system onto another volume is unreasonable. For example, mdworker is famously intensive, and evidence of a difference in the destination is to be expected.