Can I exclude $Recycle.Bin from backup using a selector?

Beebes

Hi.  I just upgraded from Retrospect 7.7 to 8.1.  I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit.

I'm trying to understand how (or if) selectors work.  This scenario doesn't seem to work:

Create new selector.

Leave the "Include" section unchanged, so "Include everything" is specified.

Under the "Exclude" section, add one condition:  Windows (FAT/NTFS) Special Folders is Recycle Bin.  "Include enclosed folders" is checked.

I select the Check Selector button and specify my C: drive as the source.  The window that shows all the selected ("marked") files shows that C:\$Recycle.Bin and all the folders and files contained in that folder are selected.

I expected the recycle bin NOT to be selected.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd run the backup and see if it gets it or not.  It sounds like you set it up correctly though.  I've noticed that when doing data restores, directories I have excluded will show up, but then when you look inside of them, they are empty like they should be.  So it kind of appears it backups of the excluded directory at the root (basically just the folder name), but then it excludes everything like it's supposed to.  

You could also create a filter that excludes any folder containing just "Recycle.Bin" or "*Recycle.Bin" as that should also accomplish the same thing and set it to only set for directories with exact spelling since the folder is C:\$Recycle.Bin.