Backup directory NOT whole disk

This was a problem in the previous upgrade, and it seems like it STILL wasn't fixed. I selected a folder on my 10TB raid and it seems to want to backup the ENTIRE raid.

The previous workaround (a few months ago with the 10.1 release) was to make that folder a favorite. Is that still the case?

This is the response I got on April 30....has this been fixed? It doesn't seem like it..

Agent Response:

I am sorry you are experiencing the manual file selection bug.  A few workarounds exist:

1) You can use a Rule to only back up a file with a specific name or file extension.
2) You can create a favorite folder inside Retrospect and backup that specific folder as a source.

I will try to notify you as soon as we have pre-release version that you can use that contains the manual file selection bug fix.

• Like 2

This was a problem in the previous upgrade, and it seems like it STILL wasn't fixed. I selected a folder on my 10TB raid and it seems to want to backup the ENTIRE raid.

The previous workaround (a few months ago with the 10.1 release) was to make that folder a favorite. Is that still the case?

I use Favourite folders for this in Retro 10.2. Seems to work OK.

has this been fixed?

Looks like it to me.

Previous behavior 10.1

- Select "Backup" icon from task bar at top

- Select "Browse" chicklet button at right of Source volume

- Select a folder from drop-down sheet

- Click "Done"

- Observe pop-up menu "Select a rule to identify files to back up." changes from "All Files" To "Manual file selection" 

- Observe pop-up menu then changes back to "All files" without user intervention

That would be bug #3692 noted by David W Lee in this post:

http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/150368-cant-backup-manually-selected-files

In 10.2.0 (201) all the above steps are the same except for the last; the pop-up menu keeps the "Manual file selection" setting, and in fact you can change that pop-up to something else and then _back_ to Manual and it will retain the selection choice you made.

Now that I've updated I can't go back for further investigation of 10.1 behavior, and I have not actually tried a manually selected backup with 10.2, but it does look good!

You are correct in your remembering the previous behavior vs the new behavior (doesn't switch back to ALL files) but when I tried it (once only) it STILL tried to backup more than the folder I chose.I  didn't let it finish because the scan and amount of files was WAY larger than ikt should have been so I busted it.

I will try it in the next few days with a smaller folder.

eli