E-mail Notification Not Working in 8.2

minidomo

The 8.2 release notes states one fix is "Improve compatibility with email servers when sending notification email". And it does, if you use the "Send Test E-Mail" button. But if you actually let an automatic script run, the notification still fails.

Under Retrospect 8.2 for Windows, I get this in the log:

E-mail notification failed: error -511 ( unknown service message)

I also have a number of Retrospect 10.2 for Mac stations, which claim the same fix in the release notes and are still exhibiting the same problem, although the error message in the log is different there:

E-mail notification failed: error -597 ( mail server not found)

I've waited three months to get my email notification back, and I'm sorely disappointed. I really think a hotfix for this is due. There's nothing weird about my email setup -- in fact, since it works with the test button, I'd say my config is not the issue here. For sake of troubleshooting though, I'll say my outgoing mail server is entered as follows (not the real name):

mail.outgoingserver.com:587

I have to use port 587 for outgoing mail, so I can't remove that. Not sure if the colon and/or the port number is the problem here. Whatever it is -- please get it fixed.

• Like 2

It's an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server. I'm using SMTP authentication on port 587. But I don't think my server can be the issue, since it works with the "send test e-mail" function. The test email sent with that button gets through every time, on both Windows 8.2 and Mac 10.2. It's only ones sent after an automatic script runs that are not working.

We tested the most recent release with a wide range of mail servers, although we did not specifically test with a Ubuntu mail server.

Have you tried again, without the port being included in the server address?

The following article explains how to get a debug log for email notification. It also lists which services are not currently supported:

http://retrospect.com/en/support/kb/email-notification-troubleshooting-windows-and-macintosh

I am sorry to report that if the server requires port 587, Retrospect may continue to have trouble with email notification. We have reproduced the problem and we will get this addressed quickly.

For now, you may want to try a gmail account with Retrospect until the issue is resolved. Gmail accounts work pretty well. 

I am sorry to report that if the server requires port 587, Retrospect may continue to have trouble with email notification. We have reproduced the problem and we will get this addressed quickly.

For now, you may want to try a gmail account with Retrospect until the issue is resolved. Gmail accounts work pretty well. 

Does port 465 work, with SSL?

I'm having the same issue on a Windows 7 64 bit installation.

Operations log reports:

soctPreDispose: maximum queue depth was 0
    soctSetThread: socket thread now 0x3230
    SMTP: opening addr 75.180.132.33
    smtpOpen: connecting using port 19,202
    soccOpen: socket send buffer size is 65,536
    soccOpen: socket recv buffer size is 65,536
    soccCallback: connected
    smtpWait: "220 Welcome Road Runner. WARNING: *** FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY! ***"
    smtpOpen: connection established "Welcome"
    smtpSend: "EHLO Rob-PC"
    smtpWait: "250 8BITMIME"
    smtpSend: "AUTH LOGIN"
    smtpWait: "500 5.5.2 unrecognized command"
    smtpReset: AUTH LOGIN expected 334, response 500
    smtpSend: "QUIT"
    smtpWait: "221 cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com closing connection"
    soccRecv: connection closed cleanly
    soctPreDispose: maximum queue depth was 1

Using standard vanilla mail server, RoadRunner (through Time/Warner Cable) in Southern California.

Yes, older versions of Retrospect worked.

When I push the test button, i get the message: error -511 (unknown service message).

I also use Macrium Reflect and it sends e-mail messages without a problem.

Rob,

The original issue described in this thread was that the "test" button works but the other emails fail.  Looking at your debug log, Retrospect is really encountering a separate issue. It may be a bug, but it would be a different bug.

Does your mail server require SSL? Are you including a port in the IP address of the mail server? If so, what port are you using?

Strange. I changed the e-mail settings to alert me on a successful back-up, and ran a quick backup. Indeed, the e-mail DID send me a message. So I know it's working. My only problem now is that the "Test" button DOES NOT successfully send a test e-mail. But the main thing is that an e-mail will be sent in the event of a problem with the backup, which is all I wanted anyway.

I have the same situation as minimodo (send test e-mail works but regular emails do not). Switching to gmail as recommended has solved getting regular emails - but I now have another email issue. I have 2 email addresses defined to receive emails. One of them seems to receive all of the emails from the backup run. The other (second in the list) does not - it receives the startup message and then a resulting message that indicates that a -530 error occurred during the run, but none of the other messages. I don't know if you need any debug or log information - please let me know....

I've tried two SMTP servers for this. 1. A fairly standard cPanel setup that I use for my regular e-mail. 2. Mandrill. (I figured that if I couldn't get e-mails to work with Retrospect on my usual mail server, a professional SMTP server should do the trick).

The results were the same

Port 465. "Send test e-mail" -> "error -519 (network communication failed)"

Port 25 (no port specified). "Send test e-mail" -> success. Scheduled script -> fails silently (no message arrives at the SMTP server, but nothing logged as failing in Retrospect).

Port 587. "Send test e-mail" -> success. Scheduled script -> "error -511 (unknown service message)"

Really, SMTP is a standard. Both those mail servers will comply with the standards. Surely Retrospect should work with any standards-compliant mail server?

Does this help?

I've currently got the server set to mail me through my cPanel account, using the default port. The "Send Test E-mail" button works

I've found an overnight backup job that completed. The Retrospect log shows "E-mail notification failed: error -511 ( unknown service message)" at the end of that job.

I had a look at the exim logs on the server. At that exact timestamp I found this:

2013-07-19 03:07:10 SMTP connection from [{my IP}]:59358 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
2013-07-19 03:07:12 SMTP connection from [{my IP}]:59358 lost (error: Connection reset by peer)
2013-07-19 03:07:13 SMTP connection from [{my IP}]:59359 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
2013-07-19 03:07:15 SMTP connection from ({my PC name}) [{my IP}]:59359 closed by QUIT

So Retrospect is connecting to the mail server.

The next statement should have been 

H={my PC name}

before transmitting the message. Indeed, when I look at what the test button sends, that is exactly what happens

Using the debug level 7 in Retrospect, the operations log shows me what is happening from this end. It connects to the sever. Sends an EHLO statement. Sends AUTH LOGIN followed by a username and password. Back comes the message "235 Authentication succeeded". The next command is "QUIT".

One other thing I noticed. I had to run quite a few backup tasks in Retrospect before I could get that output into the Operations Log. It seems that sometimes, when a script runs, the e-mail notification does not run at all - nothing appears on the Operations Log, and nothing appears in the server logs either. In the end, the only way I found I could be sure to generate an automated e-mail attempt in the Operations Log was to re-enable "Send e-mail on engine startup or shutdown" and close Retrospect. That seemed to attempt e-mailing every time, whereas scheduled scripts were more hit and miss.

I think that's as much information as I can gather. If you would like me to test anything else, I'll happily do so.

One other thing I noticed. I had to run quite a few backup tasks in Retrospect before I could get that output into the Operations Log. It seems that sometimes, when a script runs, the e-mail notification does not run at all - nothing appears on the Operations Log, and nothing appears in the server logs either. In the end, the only way I found I could be sure to generate an automated e-mail attempt in the Operations Log was to re-enable "Send e-mail on engine startup or shutdown" and close Retrospect. That seemed to attempt e-mailing every time, whereas scheduled scripts were more hit and miss.

This is by design. From the 'Email' section of the Retrospect 8.2 Release Notes:

2122: Reduce similar email notifications during 24-hour period
On my setup I get only one email notification for successful backups each day. However an email is sent for every error that occurs! (A recent attempt at a catalog rebuild went bad and Retrospect sent in excess of 160 email error notifications. It would have been more but the SMTP server started refusing the connection attempts.)

This is by design. From the 'Email' section of the Retrospect 8.2 Release Notes:

On my setup I get only one email notification for successful backups each day. However an email is sent for every error that occurs! (A recent attempt at a catalog rebuild went bad and Retrospect sent in excess of 160 email error notifications. It would have been more but the SMTP server started refusing the connection attempts.)

Was that with the 8.2 version?

LOL - it's not a bug, it's a feature ;)

The problem with that is it gives no way to distinguish (a) backups are running without fault, and (B) the Retrospect engine has crashed / its SMTP client is broken.

I already have a mail filter in my inbox that marks as read, and moves out of the way, any Retrospect messages that heuristically don't look like an error. A better approach to making e-mail manageable would be for Retrospect to (i) make sending non-error mails optional, and (ii) add an extra SMTP header, "X-Contains-Backup-Errors" - then I can filter with 100% accuracy if I still want to receive all the messages.

As it is, it makes debugging this current difficulty much more tricky.

Here is the Operations Log entries for the failed catalog rebuild under Retrospect 8.2 Professional:

+	Executing Rebuild at 2013-07-18 12:30
	To Backup Set Byre Network [B3]...
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA000022.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA000201.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA000236.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA000273.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA000319.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001437.rdb" to "AA001439.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001441.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001443.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001445.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001447.rdb" to "AA001448.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001450.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001452.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001454.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001456.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001458.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001460.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001462.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001464.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001466.rdb" to "AA001468.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001470.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001472.rdb" reported missing by user
		E-mail notification failed: error -592 ( invalid response from SMTP server)
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001474.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001481.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001483.rdb" to "AA001484.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001487.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001490.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001495.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001498.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001503.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001505.rdb" to "AA001507.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001510.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001513.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001516.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001519.rdb" to "AA001521.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001524.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001529.rdb" to "AA001531.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001533.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001535.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001537.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001539.rdb" to "AA001541.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001543.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001545.rdb" to "AA001547.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001549.rdb" to "AA001554.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001557.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001559.rdb" to "AA001561.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001564.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001566.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001568.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001570.rdb" to "AA001571.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001573.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001575.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001577.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001579.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001582.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001584.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001586.rdb" to "AA001588.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001590.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001592.rdb" to "AA001593.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001595.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001597.rdb" to "AA001599.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001602.rdb" to "AA001604.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001606.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001609.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001611.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001613.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001616.rdb" to "AA001622.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001624.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001626.rdb" to "AA001628.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001630.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001636.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001638.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001640.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001642.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001644.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001646.rdb" to "AA001648.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001650.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001656.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001658.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001661.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001665.rdb" to "AA001666.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001668.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001670.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001677.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001679.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001681.rdb" to "AA001682.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001684.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001686.rdb" to "AA001688.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001690.rdb" to "AA001691.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001693.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001695.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001697.rdb" to "AA001698.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001700.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001702.rdb" to "AA001703.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001705.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001707.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001709.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001711.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001713.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001715.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001718.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001720.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001727.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001729.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001731.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001733.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001735.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001739.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001741.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001743.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001745.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001748.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001750.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001752.rdb" to "AA001754.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001756.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001758.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001760.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001763.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001766.rdb" to "AA001769.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001772.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001775.rdb" to "AA001777.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001779.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001795.rdb" to "AA001801.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001805.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001810.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001812.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001814.rdb" to "AA001816.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001818.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001820.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001822.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001834.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001836.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001838.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001840.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001843.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001847.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001849.rdb" to "AA001850.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA001852.rdb" to "AA001859.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001863.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001865.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001898.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001900.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001902.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001905.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001911.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001914.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001923.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001925.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001927.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001930.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001932.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001965.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001967.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001969.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001971.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA001974.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002074.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002076.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002078.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002084.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002086.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA002265.rdb" to "AA002266.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002270.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002272.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002274.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA002276.rdb" to "AA002278.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002281.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002305.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002307.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002309.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002311.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002314.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002316.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002318.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002320.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002325.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002327.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002329.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002331.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002334.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002340.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002345.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002348.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002361.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002380.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002383.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002385.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002389.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002394.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002396.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002398.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002400.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002402.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002404.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002406.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002408.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002410.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002417.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002419.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002422.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002431.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002433.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002435.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002443.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002447.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002451.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA002453.rdb" to "AA002454.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002456.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002461.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002463.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA002465.rdb" to "AA002466.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002468.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002470.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002472.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002474.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002477.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002479.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002483.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002485.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002487.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002490.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002492.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002496.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002499.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002502.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002517.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002519.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002522.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002524.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002526.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data files "AA002528.rdb" to "AA002530.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002533.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002536.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002538.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002540.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002542.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002545.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002548.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002550.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002553.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002555.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002557.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002561.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002564.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002570.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002574.rdb" reported missing by user
		The Disk Backup Set data file "AA002577.rdb" reported missing by user
		Can't create Snapshot, error -1115 ( disk full)
		Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set Byre Network [B3], error -1115 ( disk full)
	2013-07-18 20:15:52: 339 execution errors
		Completed: 1037843 files, 1,441.9 GB
		Performance: 3285.1 MB/minute
		Duration: 07:39:57 (00:10:33 idle/loading/preparing)

I can't really see why Retrospect would need to be generating e-mails for the missing .rbd files because they had already been acknowledged as missing when the groom was started. Also previous versions of Retrospect never generated any errors for .rdb files that had been removed by a previous groom.

The 'E-mail notification failed: error -592 ( invalid response from SMTP server)' entries are from my ISP's SMTP server rejecting the connection attempts.

The 'Can't create Snapshot, error -1115 ( disk full)' errors at the end are because Retrospect managed to use the 18GB free space on the drive during the rebuild. The rebuilt catalog file got ~12.6GB and Retrospect or Windows 7 Professional 64-bit consumed the other ~5.4GB. There was only one e-mail generated for these errors.

(In the end I recovered the backup set and catalog by restoring from an rsync backup to an external drive on my NAS that I had run before the groom.)

The catalog rebuild was prompted by a failed grooming attempt:

+	Executing Groom Byre Network [B3] at 2013-07-18 11:30
		Grooming Backup Set Byre Network [B3]...
		VLoc::VolRDiskDelFrags: file(AA001486.rdb) databyte diff, rinfobytes|finfobytes [17,895,424|19,349,504], error error -2241 ( Catalog File invalid/damaged), thisgroomedDate 130,186,206,406,570,000
		VLoc::VolRDiskDelFrags: file(AA001486.rdb) databyte diff, rinfobytes|finfobytes [17,895,424|19,349,504], error error -2241 ( Catalog File invalid/damaged), thisgroomedDate 130,186,206,406,570,000
		Groomed 1.1 GB from Backup Set Byre Network [B3].
		Grooming Backup Set Byre Network [B3] failed, error -2241 ( Catalog File invalid/damaged)
		You must recreate the Backup Set's Catalog File.
		See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.
		Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set Byre Network [B3], error -1 ( unknown)
	2013-07-18 11:52:07: 2 execution errors
		Duration: 00:21:22 (00:01:12 idle/loading/preparing)

The previous attempt at grooming was reported as successful by Retrospect 8.1 Professional:

+	Executing Groom Byre Network [B3] at 2013-03-29 21:20
		Grooming Backup Set Byre Network [B3]...
		Groomed 167.4 GB from Backup Set Byre Network [B3].
	2013-03-29 22:56:49: Execution completed successfully
		Duration: 01:36:29 (00:10:19 idle/loading/preparing)

The backup set was created by Retrospect 8.0 Professional and had never been groomed before.

Edited by Scillonian

• 2 weeks later...