Tricks to solve Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-1124" error?

pmcdonald

Can anyone please help me with an error I'm getting. Aside from the occasional nuked tape Retrospect 7.7 on Windows 7 x64 has been running flawlessly for the last 12 months. However on Friday it threw up the following error message:

Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-1124" error

And then crashes. I'm attempting to add incremental files to a large backup set of our server. Retrospect is located on a backup machine with an LTO drive hanging off it. The data I'm attempting to backup is located on a separate Synology Diskstation RAID array drive, using an EXT4 file system (supposedly).

I'm not sure what has brought about the error all of a sudden - all the hardware, structures, etc are unchanged. I'm just keen to fix the bug and get on with protecting me data. I've read somewhere trashing configuration files can help. I've tried removing all the files in the ProgramData/Retrospect folder but all it does is prompt me for my serial again, ask where to find the catalogs and then crash again.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Log file of the error is attached.

assert_log.utx

Well, uninstalling, restarting and reinstalling Retrospect seemed to do the trick. I left my catalogues, preferences, etc in their original locations (with backups of course), so on reinstall Retrospect picked up pretty much where I left it off.

I guess these occasional errors are just the price of admission with the software..

Might be worth running a thorough check on the hard drive of the machine Retrospect is installed on. An uninstall and reinstall would seem it indicate an application file or registry corruption. File corruption can sometimes be an indication that a disk is starting to have problems.