"Cannot connect to Retrospect"

drmrbrewer

I'm getting the above message when I try to open up Retrospect (Win 8).  What is likely to be the issue?  So far as I know, nothing has fundamentally changed on my system in the last week.  I vaguely recall that I had to quit one of the backup scripts during execution, and perhaps that is the root cause?  I think that was the last backup to run.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

If it's a case of uninstalling / reinstalling, how do I set things up again so that I don't have to go through the pain of a first-time backup again? All my backup sets are still in place, and the catalog files are sitting there in another folder too.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Dan

Thanks for your input.  I've never connected via remote desktop, but your post gave me a clue... the bit about starting Retrospect when it's already running in another session on that server.  I thought I'd open the task manager and see whether there were in fact instances of Retrospect already running.  Sure enough, there were two background instances of Retrospect, and a Retrospect background launcher.  I killed them all, then tried to open up Retrospect again... and it worked!  It's weird, because this problem persisted even after many system reboots, so it's not as if a bad Retrospect instance in the current login... even rebooting didn't kill things off cleanly.

So it now seems to be catching up on some scheduled backups it missed, and after that I'll restart everything and see if it's all back to normal.

Thanks again for the hint.

UPDATE: OK it seems to have stalled on the same backup set I think it stalled on last time before this issue arose.  I'll report that in a separate post.

Mike

The contents of the operations_log.utx file may give you some indication of what is or is not happening. This file can be found (if I remember correctly) in the C:\ProgramData\Retrospect folder for Windows 7 and 8 and in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect folder for Windows XP. Open the file in a text editor and scroll to the end to see the most recent activities. You should at least be able to find the script and backup set involved.

Edited by Scillonian

Thanks, that's handy to know.  I have a delve into that log file, and am seeing quite a few of the errors like the following, even though the backup script seems to run successfully (emphasis added):

+ $[15]Retrospect$[16] version 8.1.0.266
Automatically launched at 18/06/2013 20:00 

+ Normal backup using $[1]Mike Pictures Script$[2] at 18/06/2013 20:00
To Backup Set $[01]$[*!20825,,14,+3]Mike Pictures$[02]...
MapError: unknown Windows error -1,017
VssWAddComponentToSnapshot: UGetComponentInfo failed., osErr -1017, error -1001

- 18/06/2013 20:00:15: Copying $[*!20603,,14,+3]Pictures$[$u] on OS (C:)
18/06/2013 20:01:37: Snapshot stored, 14.3 MB
18/06/2013 20:01:47: Comparing $[*!20603,,14,+3]Pictures$[$u] on OS (C:)
18/06/2013 20:01:50: Execution completed successfully

These errors are probably a result of Retrospect being launched by the Retrospect Launcher Service. Error -1017 translates to insufficient permissions. By default the Retrospect Launcher Service runs under the System account and when it launches Retrospect it runs under the System account which has different permissions to your normal user account.

Is your Mike Pictures Script a scheduled script?

Personally I have the Retrospect Launcher Services disabled because of the difficulty of sometimes regaining control of Retrospect when it has been automatically launched.

If you want to continue using the Retrospect Launcher Service you could change the logon details for the service (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services) to your username and password after first stopping the service then restarting it after the change. This will then launch Retrospect under your user account instead of the default of the System account.

Yes it is a scheduled script.  But to get scheduled scripts to work at all, I did already have to change logon details of the Launcher service (there is another thread on here about that).  So I'm not sure it can be that?

It appears to occur for backups from C: to an NAS, but not for backups from the NAS to another NAS.  And, even with the error, the job still seems to complete OK (as the above example suggests), so if there were a permissions issue, wouldn't the whole backup fail miserably?

As you possibly already discovered when Retrospect is launched by the Retrospect Launcher Service as the System account this can cause VSS errors because of permissions on the local machine backups. This is why I suggested it.

Are there any entries in the Windows Event Viewer for VSS errors that tie up with the Retrospect errors?