retroclient.state is empty, reoccurring issue

I keep having an issue with my clients which seems totally random and usually it's with a different client each time. For some reason, the retroclient.state file ends up completely empty so then Retrospect says that there is no password. I have to delete the empty retroclient.state, run the installer again and set the password. I know how to fix it but the problem is that each time this happens the client stops backing up until I notice it. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm not sure what triggers the empty retroclient.state file to begin with either I'm afraid. Each client that has had this issue so far is running 10.7.4 or 10.7.5 and Retrospect client 10.1.0(221).

This is what I see in the retroclient log file.

1372123932: Client version is 10.1.0.221
1372123932: SopsLoad: no public key, return -1.!
1372123932: LogFlush: program exit(-1) called, flushing log file to disk

• 2 months later...

I keep having an issue with my clients which seems totally random and usually it's with a different client each time. For some reason, the retroclient.state file ends up completely empty so then Retrospect says that there is no password. I have to delete the empty retroclient.state, run the installer again and set the password. I know how to fix it but the problem is that each time this happens the client stops backing up until I notice it. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm not sure what triggers the empty retroclient.state file to begin with either I'm afraid. Each client that has had this issue so far is running 10.7.4 or 10.7.5 and Retrospect client 10.1.0(221).

This is what I see in the retroclient log file.

1372123932: Client version is 10.1.0.221

1372123932: SopsLoad: no public key, return -1.!

1372123932: LogFlush: program exit(-1) called, flushing log file to disk

I am seeing the same thing, although I have a public key so the client starts OK but isn't recognised as the same client by the server. If you take a backup of the state file, you can restore it and it seems to carry on like nothing happened, but it's possible that something is out-of-date.

In my case it is most often the same clients (10.2.0.201), but there are a lot of them, and I believe that it's been happening since we were on 6.3 clients, though I only suspected that the file was being truncated – this is the first time I've seen it.

On a related note. you can set the password using:

retroclient -setpass

without the need for the installer.