error -1017 in v8.1

tman1991

If I run a manual backup on my server machine it works fine and my 2 clients work fine.

However if I run a scheduled backup, my 2 clients work fine, but my server does this:

Writer "WMI Writer" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).
Component "WMI" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).
Writer "ASR Writer" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).
Writer "MSSearch Service Writer" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).
Writer "Registry Writer" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).
Component "Registry" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).
Writer "COM+ REGDB Writer" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).
Component "COM+ REGDB" backup failed, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Is the scheduled backup being launched by the the Retrospect Launcher Service? (ie The Retrospect application is not running and is launched by the Launcher Service to run the backup.) if it is you will need to change the logon details for the Launcher Service to that of the user account you normally use to run Retrospect.

Alternatively you can just leave the Retrospect application running and just minimise it if you want the application window out of the way.

Yes it is being launched by the launcher service -- and I have the box checked use the acct being logged into.  However I noticed the files are owned by System -- not my user acct.

I tried to change the logon details but since my user acct does not have a password I just put it in a username and nothing else and it did not seem to like that?  Maybe I missed something.

If there was a way to minimize to an icon on the lower right hand size vs taskbar that would be nice also?

Yes it is being launched by the launcher service -- and I have the box checked use the acct being logged into.  However I noticed the files are owned by System -- not my user acct.

I tried to change the logon details but since my user acct does not have a password I just put it in a username and nothing else and it did not seem to like that?  Maybe I missed something.

Although you can use a blank password in Windows user accounts it can sometimes produce unpredictable results especially in situation where authentication may be required. Although not very secure a single character password will do. Some parts of Windows expect a password to exist.

If there was a way to minimize to an icon on the lower right hand size vs taskbar that would be nice also?

Not that I know of. I think there are third party utilities that do this but I have no experience of them.

These files are what constitute the System State. These files are needed if you want to restore the System State of the server back to a specific snapshot point or a full restore. These files can also fail to backup at odd times under normal operation but these are rare. (One case I have notice is when Windows updates are being installed when a backup is run.)

Where were you trying to enter the username and password? It is the Log On properties of the Retrospect Launcher service that you need to change so the service runs as the Retrospect backup operator instead of as System:

post-45610-0-14442800-1371323533_thumb.jpg

(RetrospectBackup is the name of the backup operator on my backup server — you will need to change it as appropriate to your server.)

The options under the Security section of Preferences can be left as 'Run Retrospect as the logged-in user':

win_rug-386.jpg

The Startup preferences can be left at default settings:

win_rug-387.jpg

Edited by Scillonian

Yeah same issue. I cant log on the service without a password.. so either with is an issue. 

Can this be fixed in a patch?  to logon as a user with no pw?

As far as I know it is a Windows requirement that a password be present when trying to run a service as a user so there is nothing Retrospect can do about it.

If you are not using a password because you do not want to input one when Windows starts there is a Microsoft Sysinternals utility called Autologon for Windows that allows a user to be automatically logged-on with a password.

I use this utility on my backup server (which is a headless machine administered via RDP) so when the server is powered on the backup operator is automatically logged-on.

The Windows security model is designed to operate with passwords and when a blank password is used some advanced features may not work as expected.