cannot add VMware Host

Hello,

I am testing with multiserver8.1 trial with "VMware Host Server Add-on" enabled", thinking about to buy the complete package.

I am unable to add any vmware-server, e.b. VMware ESXi 4.1.0, 348481

Are there any prerequisits I need to do on the ESXi side? Like adding special user or such? Trying to connect as the esxi-administrator fails "specification of the vmware-connection is invalid".

I can assure I entered valid information, tested with 7different ESXi systems.

Any hint would be appreciated

kind regards

sunta

Are you using an IP address or the DNS name to connect? IP address is the the best choice. 

Prerequisites are pretty limited:

Retrospect now protects the data on VMware hosted machines by allowing users to add ESX and Virtual Center servers to Retrospect’s volume database. You can protect the data on any supported Windows guest whose volumes are running NTFS or FAT/FAT32 file systems.

Select individual virtual machines for immediate or scheduled backups by simply entering the required login credentials and creating a backup schedule. All supported virtual machines added to the virtual machines container at the time the backup job runs can be protected.

Retrospect uses VDDK 5.0, which works with the following VMware platform products:

• ESX/ESXi versions: 4.1 and 5.0
  • vCenter Server versions: 5.0

VMware Tools must be installed and up-to-date on each guest OS to be protected.

Note: Retrospect cannot provide protection beyond the limitations of VMware support for the Windows OS and the specified file systems that are supported by the Windows OS. It is recommended that you refer to VMware’s Support site for a complete, up-to-date list of their platform product and OS support: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vddk/VDDK-500-ReleaseNotes.html.

Do you have a vCenter server? What happens if you use Retrospect to connect to vCenter instead of the individual ESX Servers?