Backup Strategy?

We currently use Retrospect to back up around a dozen computers. I have a separate backup set and script for each computer which is working fine. Soon I’d like to expand this out so that another 70 or so computers will be backed up. If I continued to use my current process which is having a separate backup set and script for each computer it’s going to be a lot to setup and manage.

What’s the recommended way for handling a medium to large amount of computers? Do people backup multiple computers to the same backup sets? I guess I’d still need separate scripts for each computer?

The Retrospect server backs the files up to hard disk.

• Like 1

Retrospect always backs up to a media set. A media set has members, which can be hard drives or tapes.

I create groups of clients according to department, such as "support", "consultants", "management" and so on. I use one script and one media set per group. Large groups (more than about 20-25 clients) should be divided in two groups.

Have you thought about storing backups off site? And archiving old backups?

Think fire, theft, flooding, hurricanes, lightning etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your setup Lennart.

I'd thought about backing up computers over night but we're required to shutdown systems over night to save power. If they go to sleep, they don't always tend to wake up so I don't think we can get away with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lennart,

How do you create the groups to which you can assign scripts? I have engineers whose entire systems need backing up and sales/marketing folks whose files, without system info, I need to backup. Assigning a proactive script to a group is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Chris