backup file recovery

hi,

i have been using retrospect for a while and have quite a history of backups built over time which i have stored on a thecus n7700 nas attached to the mac via iscsi. i had some trouble with time machine backups using another volume on the same nas so i ended up sending in the nas to thecus for a hardware checkup. when the unit came back i re-inserted teh 7 disks and can see the two iscsi volumes just fine via the thecus web frontend. the mac however can't see or mount those volumes any longer, complaining that they are corrupt. for the time machine volume i don't care much about the history, so i simply reformatted the volume and time machine is happy again.

the other volume however remains unrecognized and corrupted. as said above, i'd prefer to keep my old retrospect backups if possible, so before re-formatting that volume, i'm trying to rescue some files/folders. i'm using r-studio to scan the volume and it indeed seems to find plenty of files. r-studio however doesn't know the retrospect file types. if possible i want to run a specific scan against that volume just searching for the retrospect 10 file types. as i can't see the volume however, i can't tell, so my question is simply: what file types (endings) should i be searching for?

thanks,

olaf

• Like 2

thanks tim, after looking at this a bit closer it seems that r-studio is using hex file patterns to identify file types. it needs a hex file header and ideally a fex file footer/signature at the end of the file. i ran a small backup job and opened the resulting .rdb files (just 2) to search for some data that can be used as file signature. the beginning of both files is identical:

2E 73 68 64 00 01 00 01 00 00 00 00 FC 12 00 00 60 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 02 01 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 60 7F 8B E7 04 00 00 53 F0 B6 CD

at the end of the files there is however nothing... can anybody she some light on those signatures?

thanks,

olaf

• 3 months later...

Hi, i don't know more about the file types, sorry. But i think maybe you can try Kvisoft Data recovery for Mac, it is mac file recovery software that can help you recover backup files on Mac, it can list the scan result files by different file types and categories, you can click the files according to file types to preview and then do file recovery.

Hope this helps! ;)