restore fails with - No Removable Storage Manager to restore from this Snapshot

waninae39

Hello:

I am running Pro 8.0.0(199)

i had to restore an Xp pro 64 box that had a dead battery and a dead SSD. this unit has many snapshots

i installed a base XP Pro 64 image, enabled volume shadow copy and the retrospect V8 client

i need to totally recover the image back to before the system died, Ie a total image recovery

The server can see the "new" PC. it can sync time also

The restore starts fine . i see the traffic on the PC. the server seems to be copying files

THEN the server stops after 4-6 mins with the following messag

+ Executing Restore from Backup at 5/13/2013 11:24 AM
5/13/2013 11:24:20 AM: Connected to wb-x64
To volume Main (C:) on wb-x64...
- 5/13/2013 11:24:20 AM: Restoring from 2012-xp-64, Snapshot wb-x64, 4/26/2013 12:30:00 AM

VssWEnumWriterMetadata: Excluding writer "System Writer" from the backup.
 VssWEnumWriterMetadata: Excluding writer "Shadow Copy Optimization Writer" from the backup.
 No Removable Storage Manager to restore from this Snapshot
5/13/2013 11:28:16 AM: 1 execution errors
 Duration: 00:03:56 (00:00:56 idle/loading/preparing

i have searched this forum, someone had this issue in 2009 and noone responded to RJH213

http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/24851-restore-failure/

I have google this , with no results

can anyone shed light

the V8 maniual does not shed light either

i am stuck with this obscure message

please advise

walter

update

i sent a note to support asking what the issue was . they stated:

"The errors you are seeing in the log at the time of the restore are happening because the restore of the Windows System State is failing for a few of the system state components. Hopefully the restore performed while booted from the recovery disk will give better results. If not, you may have an issue with that specific snapshot and you may want to try doing a restore from a different backup date."

i updated my server to 8.1 from 8.0 , no change noticed

i was hopeing for more specific details for the failure as the document is weak on non working restores

i created a bootable restore disk. for some reason, it built it with a 7.5 client and not a v8 clinet

it boots , but you must have at least one free client licnese as you have to add this as a new client to the server

i then did the restore and got the same results

13/2013 6:59:49 PM: Restoring from 2012-xp-64, Snapshot wb-x64, 4/26/2013 12:30:00 AM
 VssWEnumWriterMetadata: Excluding writer "Shadow Copy Optimization Writer" from the backup.
 Reported missing by user: "1-2012-xp-64"
 Reported missing by user: "1-2012-xp-64"
 No Removable Storage Manager to restore from this Snapshot
5/13/2013 7:08:04 PM: 1 execution errors
 Duration: 00:08:15 (00:04:00 idle/loading/preparing)

it now runs for 8 minutes before stopping with the same message

"No Removable Storage Manager to restore from this Snapshot

"

also

each type you reboot with the recovey cd, the PC node name changes , thus you must remove the old node name and add a new one unless you have a lot of unused client licnese.

after rebooting i can confirm that the recovety first erases the partition. on the server it ;ollks like it is just going to leave some fioles, chnages other and add the remaing. instead it erase the vlouma nd then adds the files; until it stops

in my case, i can no longer boot the PC as it has erased the root c drive and thus all the files needed are no longer there

i am still waiting for support to get me a workoing soln for either:

1. recovering from a live PC using the retrspect server restore

or

2. from a retropsect recovery CD that can boot a PC that does not need an active working root drive

so far, neither work for me (;