Copied disk media set to new array - stuck on waiting for media?

Background: I have some Retrospect 10 disk media sets on an external RAID array. I needed to upgrade the disk array with more disks to expand its capacity so I first copied the Retrospect media sets (entire folder structure) off to another drive and then upgraded the array. After the upgrade was complete I copied back the media sets to the same path (disk name remained the same). In the console I relocated the catalog files (since it seemed to think it couldn't locate them. Now the media sets look normal, list the contained members and backups.

The problem is that any time I try to use the media set the operation waits with a "waiting for media" message. I tried clicking the "choose media..." and navigating to the path where the media resides (in the same path it already lists when looking at the media set), but I can't get past the "choose media..." prompt.

I even tried removing and re-adding the media set (by locating it on disk) with no improvement.

So how do I make Retrospect able to use these perfectly intact media sets?

As a last resort, do a catalog rebuild.

I, too, think there must be a better way, but I'm as lost as you are.

Retrospect doesn't just look at the path, that's why it wants the original disk back. But why it won't let you just point out the new location is beyond me.

One thing just struck me: Try to change the path, so Retrospect sees the path isn't the same as the old path.

No luck on changing the path to the media set. I even removed the media set from Retrospect, moved the path (simply renamed the containing folder) and then "located" the media set back into Retrospect.

The frustrating thing is that Retrospect "sees" the media member and knows about the backups contained. It just won't use it for any more backups.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

Any solutions yet?

Simular problems with me.

Environment: os x server 10.6.8, Retrospect 10.1, Synology NAS-Server DJ120 (and other stuff, not related).

What I did: connected the NAS to the local network of my office, backed up several scripts to a media set on the NAS with no problem. Than unconnected the NAS und moved it to my home, connected it to my home network with a DynDNS-Service working. Back in the office I run a (new) Test-Backup with no problems.

So what´s the problem? I did´nt succeed in (re)connecting the catalogfile with the media on the NAS, although it is accessible. When I try to verify the mediaset, Retrospect doesn´t accept the media as mentioned above.

Any ideas?

Greeting, mjcat

• 1 month later...