Error -519 (Source unavailable or in use) - Retrospect 10.1

I'm trying to set up a client, and every time I try to 'browse' the contents (to mark a favorite) I get a "Source unavailable or in use." message.

The log on the script gives me "error -519 (network communication failed)"

post-49918-0-57983700-1367423151_thumb.jpg

I can easily access the client machine through the finder, and freely move files around, and retrospect 'sees' the client on the network, but just won't access it. I'm assuming I'm just missing a network setting somewhere, but it appears to me everything should be working... client side has two internal drives (if that makes a difference)

Client and server are both running OSX 10.6.8

Server workstation running Retrospect 10.1.0 (221)

Client workstation running Retrospect Client 6.3.029

Any help?

Multicast.

All machines (client and "server") are desktop workstations, and have been restarted since initial set-up. I believe that our main server assigns the IP address, so when a machine is rebooted, the actual IP may change.

For example: client is currently 10.0.0.25 - but after restart it could end up 10.0.0.23 or .27, etc (router is always 10.0.0.1)

Also, for what it's worth....

We were previously using Retrospect 5, which never gave us network issues, even when IP addresses were changed by the main server.

And a quick description of our network (figure any info helps)

The majority of our office is Windows based, except for the Art Dept.

Main server feeds everyone except us. My four Macs (including the one running Retrospect) are on our own router, and are only fed mail/web access from the Windows server, so essentially, we are our own LAN.

How would I check this?

The depends on your network hardware and its setup. Most likely that isn't a problem if you were successfully running Retrospect 5 on the same network.

And no, the firewalls on all machines are turned off.

OK, fine.

OK, I'm really confused now...

I ran the "Client Uninstall" script on the client machine. Booted it with the OSX install disc, verified/fixed permissions. Restarted the machine, and re-installed Retrospect client.

Now, after install, the client is not in the Applications folder!!!! Grrrrr...... I get the Retrospect client preferences when I open "System Preferences" but no actual client.

When I run Retrospect from the other machine, it still see's that the client machine is there, but wont let be browse it. I've got three clients to set-up, but if I can't get one figured out, I don't want to mess-up the others.

All machines (client and "server") are desktop workstations, and have been restarted since initial set-up.

Was a user logged into the client machine at the time you tried to connect to it?

Now, after install, the client is not in the Applications folder!!!! Grrrrr...... I get the Retrospect client preferences when I open "System Preferences" but no actual client.

Sounds right to me; I have all sorts of third party System Preferences that don't exist as application packages. What version of the Retrospect OS X Client software did you install?

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that sometimes the client status does not update correctly on the client and I have found that by turning off and turning the client back on will reset its status.  Note this is all done on the client itself.  Just to make sure the status is refreshed properly I stop the client by holding down either the control or command key while clicking the "Off" button.