Totally confused on how to rotate 2 backups on 2 tapes

Hello,

I had my scripts running well before our Multiloader died. I had to replace it with a single tape unit. The old drive was only 320mb and the new tapes are 1.6gb, so I can now use 2 backup scripts instead of 4 (because the new tapes can hold so much more data).

Here is what I have for equipment:

Hardware - Software versions:

Window 2003 server Standard Edition SP2

Retrospect Multi Server V. 7.6.123 driver update and hot fix v 7.6.2.101

Tandberg Data LTO-4

Adpatec Ultra320 SCSI card

Where I am confused is I created 2 backup sets:

New Backup Set 1

New Backup Set 2

What I want to do is recycle my 4 tapes (1 per week for each backup set).

My tapes are named: (It named them using this convention, and I have no problems renaming them if it will make this more clear)

1 New Backup Set 1

2 New Backup Set 1

1 New Backup Set 2

2 New Backup Set 2

What I would like is this week use "1 New Backup Set 1" for my New Backup Set 1 backups script and use "1 New Backup Set 2" for my New Backup Set 2 script.

Then next week use "2 New Backup Set 1" for my New Backup Set 1 backups script and use "2 New Backup Set 2" for my New Backup Set 2 script.

Do I have to make them "Members" of the backup set scripts? (so New Backup Set 1 would have 2 members, "1 New Backup Set 1" and "2 New Backup Set 1"?)

When I try to recycle them like I suggested above, it keeps wanting to rename "2 New Backup Set 1" to "1 New Backup Set".

I have tried just about every naming/scheduling scenarion I can think of. I googled this and tried to use the retrospect PDF and I am still confused and end up with the same "insert a tape and I will rename it with the same name of the tape you just had in there".

I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Don

• Like 1