Retrospect 8 lost catalog, won't recognize

boegly

Retrospect 8 spontaneiously lost connection to all 3 backup catalogs. When I go to Locate, it sees the catalog, I tell to add it back, it blinks at me and won't add it. Just goes back to the Media Sets window. I've also rebuilt the entire 1.5 TB database, and it when it was done, it listed the task as successful, but wouldn't recognize the catalog it had just created, either.

Greg

I suspect you may have corruption in your configuration file. To test this, quit the Retrospect console app, stop the Retrospect Engine in System Preferences, and drag the files Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect to the desktop (so you can easily drag them back in case the files are OK). Restart the Engine and relaunch the console. You'll now have a clean copy of Config80 and will need to reenter your license code, and all information about scripts, sources, media sets, etc., will be gone.

If Retrospect now is able to recognize and can work with your media set catalogs, you'll be on your way. If you have a good backup copy of Config80.dat, you can restore this file and, after quitting the console and stopping the engine, you can drag the restored Config80 to replace the bare version you just created. If you don't have a good copy, you'll need to recreate all your scripts and lists by hand.

The media set catalogs are separate from the configuration file. Assuming that the catalogs are not damaged, new backups should resume from the prior backups. You should not need to rebuild the catalogs if only the config file is damaged; you only need to tell Retrospect where the catalogs are located.