Cannot restore a file that has no file extension?!?

Hello,

I am having an issue that may have existed since I migrated over to the Windows 8 Disk-to-Disk version of Retrospect last year, but have not noticed as I never tried to restore files under this condition.

I am trying to restore a folder which was backed up from a Mac Client containing 3 files, a Quark File, a PDF, a PDF log. The Quark file was saved on the Mac without an extension (an old habit of my boss' that won't die). But I can see all three files in Retrospect when I go to "Select Files" in the Restore Wizard. However, when I try restore them, only the PDF and the log file appear and the Quark file is not restored at all.

Is this a known issue and I need to slap my boss around here or am I missing something?

I am running Retrospect Disk-to-Disk v. 8.1.0 (266) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

Thanks for the help.

JFly

I know that Retrospect will restore files without an extension when the backup and restore are on Windows. They were only small files containing text but they did restore.

By any chance does the file name contain any characters that are illegal on the NTFS or FAT file systems?

I can't recall seeing anywhere how Retrospect handles illegal file name characters when crossing file systems.

I don't know. It SHOULD work that way.

So perhaps try something else would do the trick.

Thank you Lennart,

Your question led me to try restoring over the network to a Mac since that was the origin of the file, and IT WORKED! Now this was a Quark Xpress file that was giving me the problem and evidently the lack of file extension was the issue.

To answer Scillonian, I don't think it was an illegal character issue as I tried several folders worth of files as a test and none of the Quark Xpress files would restore to the Win Server if they didn't have an extension. I actually have not tried to restore an Xpress file with an extension yet, but am curious to do so!

Thanks for all the help peoples!

JFly