can't rebuild set

Hi,

I had half of one of my catalogs deleted by retrospect, and it won't let me rebuild it!

Looking in the console, the message being given is 'BackupSet::isBusy exception: object(id=585) doesn't exists or already deleted'

Is there any way to get around this, or do I have to re back up all of teh data that was on there?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Tim,

I've already tried restarting the engine, and have restarted the machine and tape deck as well (many times), and nothing seems to work. The amount of time I've spent trying to figure this out is quite alot. Luckily I have a drive backup of all the media, so can go back and redo it, but that would be a big waste of tapes and time.

Another thing that I've noticed with playing around, is that when verifying a tape, it claims that the tape is being used by another media set. But the tape is from the same media set!

Try this: Stop the engine, drag the catalog of the problem media set to the trash, and restart the engine. Then try to rebuild the catalog from the tapes.

If this doesn't work, please reply back with more details of your setup, including OS version, Retrospect version, and all the applicable hardware.

ok, tried that and no luck.

I'm using a Intel Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual Core, 14GB Ram, OS 10.6.5

linked up to a Sony AIT LIB-162 by scsi using an ATTO ul-5d

Retrospect 8.1 (build 626)

I have half of the catalogue from an old version and would like to carry on from there. Is it still possible to get a version of 8.2 if that fixes a whole lot of bugs?

I have half of the catalogue from an old version and would like to carry on from there.

What exactly do you mean by half the catalogue? And you said earlier that Retrospect deleted half. On its own, without your having taken any action in the media set's window or while running a script?

ok, tried that and no luck.

One more thing to try. Stop the Retrospect engine and drag the files Config80.dat and Config80.bak from the folder /Library/Application Support/Retrospect to the desktop (so you can return the files in case the following makes no difference). Restart the engine and launch the console. You'll need to re-enter your license code and because this will be a new default configuration, all your scripts and sources will be gone. Now try rebuilding the catalogue from the tapes.

Is it still possible to get a version of 8.2 if that fixes a whole lot of bugs?

Version 8.2 is available for download here.

Haha, yeah better explain what happened better... Busy day yesterday!

The person who was incharge of the backups before me, who has now left, was trying to do a recovery (I'm not sure of the specifics) and was asked if they wanted to continue at some point and thats when the catalogue was wiped. We had an older copy of the catalogue, so managed to recover ~40 of the 60 tapes in the catalogue, which is what I mean by having half a catalogue left. A couple of tapes did recatalog before it decided that it wasn't going to work, and going back to the recovered catalogue and rebuilding the tapes that were already done doesn't work.

I will try your suggestions when I get a min.

Thanks for your help.

Tommy

A couple of tapes did recatalog before it decided that it wasn't going to work, and going back to the recovered catalogue and rebuilding the tapes that were already done doesn't work.

So you must have gotten an error message of some sort when you tried this repair. Knowing what that error message was would be very helpful. This should appear in the operations log.

If you were able to recover part of the catalogue before running up against the error, this would tend to suggest you may have a problem with the tape member that was in the drive when the error occurred. If the tape member is the problem, trying to rebuild again at the same point won't work. During the initial repair operation, Retrospect should have given you an option to skip that tape member (by marking it as "lost") and begin rebuilding with the next member.

You might try running a repair again. Retrospect will ask you to add a new member. Instead of starting with what would ordinarily be the next member, start with the one after that and see if you have any better luck.

There is also the possibility you may have a problem with your tape drive. The evidence for that would be that you are now getting an error for a lot of different tapes, including ones that recently worked fine.

So, just got some time to have a look at this and thought that I would have one last go at rebuilding the catalogue, and it has started working. Not sure why or how or if it will last, but its going now. There have been a few restarts inbetween for other reasons, perhaps that helped. Thanks for all your help Tim, if it happens again I will use some of your suggestoins.

Don't have the error anymore, as the log was filled with other stuff.

Thanks