No instant scan when manually running scripts?

At least as reported by the log ( it shows them in timed run, but not w/manually started ). Instant Scan is enumerated when timed scripts run, but if I run the same script again manually, no IS is reported in the log.

Version 10.1.0 (221)

And another thing, the "Past Backups" widget in the left pane does not get updated as fast as the previous version [ < 10.1.x ] - eventually, it reflects what the log shows immediately....

Little things, little things, I know... but....

At least as reported by the log ( it shows them in timed run, but not w/manually started ). Instant Scan is enumerated when timed scripts run, but if I run the same script again manually, no IS is reported in the log.

Version 10.1.0 (221)

Based on user feedback through Support and Forum, we set this behavior in 10.1.0 (221). More specifics are here.

And another thing, the "Past Backups" widget in the left pane does not get updated as fast as the previous version [ < 10.1.x ] - eventually, it reflects what the log shows immediately....

We will investigate.

don't recall discussion of this on the Retrospect 9 forum

Sorry, I should have elaborated. In light of customer interests and as well as concerns about Instant Scan, 10.1.0 (221) includes multiple improvements for:

- optimizations in processing file system change events

- throttling CPU consumption

Instant Scan processes file system changes about every 5 minutes. Considering use cases where customers make file system changes and quickly start manual backup to protect those changes, 10.1.0 (221) bypasses Instant Scan for such manually started back ups. We do have additional phases of further performance and resource optimizations planned for this area and will share more as we get closer to each phase.

Ahhh.... just found this:

http://forums.retros...an-to-work-101/

Instant Scan does not report itself in manual run mode. Or is just not working it that case?

Which is it - running and not reporting itself, or not running? ( and not reporting itself not running? )

It's a feature! :)

After reading more carefully, I conclude that it *does not run* when manually asked to backup. By design.

Ahhh.... just found this:

http://forums.retros...an-to-work-101/

Instant Scan does not report itself in manual run mode. Or is just not working it that case?

Which is it - running and not reporting itself, or not running? ( and not reporting itself not running? )

It's a feature! :)

After reading more carefully, I conclude that it *does not run* when manually asked to backup. By design.

My understanding is that the RetroISA process runs whether you use manual backups or not. However, when a manual backup is run, it ignores the file changes found by RetroISA and does a scan anyway.

So if all your backups are manual (as mine are), then the best setting for Instant Scan is probably "disabled". Despite all the acknowledged improvements in RetroISA's performance, it still can burn 30% of a CPU for periods for no apparent reason, and if it's delivering no benefit it might as well be off.

IMO, it would have been better to document Instant Scan's behaviour rather than ignoring its output for manual scans. It seems more and more that Instant Scan is not at the moment something that can just run quietly in the background without anyone noticing except for an improvement in backup speed.

Thanks, David.

I really would like to be able to use Instant Scan with manual backups (I back up to optical media).

Those who want to make significant changes their file systems and then run a backup and capture all those changes, have the option of disabling Instant Scan. I don't think there is a need to disable the use of Instant Scan for everyone who does manual backups.

So if all your backups are manual (as mine are)...

I really would like to be able to use Instant Scan with manual backups (I back up to optical media).

One workaround until we re-enable that scenario is to create Proactive Backup script, which does use Instant Scan (if enabled on the backup source computer) and should run almost immediately in your case. Subsequent proactive backup won't proceed if there is no media, or if you uncheck all sources from the proactive script.

Instant Scan is an important step towards several related backup acceleration features on our roadmap. We appreciate customer interests and feedback in the process.