E-mail Notification Not Working in 8.1

Scillonian

If email notification fails to find a mail server, try adding the port number to the server address. Example. mail.emailserver.com:25

This solved the problem for me, using port number 465. I believe that is the common smtp secure server port number. (Note that I had not used e-mail notification before I upgraded to 8.1. It does appear to be the same problem, though.)

This solved the problem for me, using port number 465. I believe that is the common smtp secure server port number. (Note that I had not used e-mail notification before I upgraded to 8.1. It does appear to be the same problem, though.)

What version of Windows are you using Retrospect on?

This is one of the first things I tried before starting this thread but it has never worked for me.

What version of Windows are you using Retrospect on?

This is one of the first things I tried before starting this thread but it has never worked for me.

I am using Windows 7.Professional SP1, version 6.1.7601. It did not work until I added the port number. (It still does not work using an smtp server that is not secure. I get an error message that the e-mail address is bad.)

I am using Windows 7.Professional SP1, version 6.1.7601. It did not work until I added the port number. (It still does not work using an smtp server that is not secure. I get an error message that the e-mail address is bad.)

I was wondering if it was working for you because you were using a different version of Windows than I am. However we are both using the same version that rules that theory out.

The only error I get is 'E-mail notification failed: error -597 ( mail server not found)' and corresponding Schannel errors in the Windows Event Log. The SMTP mail server I use can accept both secured and unsecured connections.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On March 28 (2013) David W Lee posted in this thread "It is bug 3684 and we are working on a fix as we speak."  As a variety of minor variations on the e-mail notification problems (as well as the major variation of Mac v. PC) were being discussed in the thread, I'm not sure I understand specifically what "bug 3684" is defined as.

In any case, I've been watching this thread and there's been no announcement of a fix to that bug nor indication that the e-mail notification problem with rev 8.1 is fixed in Windows.  Assuming the problem in Windows is (or was) a known bug, can anyone chime in with an authoritative status of a fix?

• Like 1

Can 8.1 version sent email when authentication is not required? Like when using a local mailserver? Thanks

Possibly! Some people appear to have email notification working in 8.1 whilst some of us don't.

If you don't already have 8.1, probably the easiest way to find out would be to download the trial and try it. If you do make sure to backup you current configuration in case it doesn't work and you have to revert to your current version. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'm having hte exact same problem.... retrospect single server 8.1 running on Windows XP; I have to say that this makes me doubt whether the release was tested before being shipped.  8.1 is really quite buggy -- which is ok for something like Angry Birds, but not what you want to rely on for your critical backups.

I, too, have just upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1, and found that e-mails are no longer sent. I get the same error logged, -597.

Following the advice in this thread, I tried putting just the IP address : port number. Ports 25, 26, and 587 still did not send any e-mail. Port 465 crashed my Retrospect - the application shut down and disappeared. Annoyingly, this was halfway through rebuilding a catalog file - I hadn't anticipated that "send test e-mail" might crash the application. Without doing anything critical this time, I was able to verify that sending a test e-mail with port 465 will consistently crash my installation of Retrospect Professional 8.1

• 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous. It has been two months since this problem has been reported. TWO MONTHS. I don't know what priority Retrospect's engineers have assigned to this issue but whatever it is, IT IS TOO LOW. Every morning, I get backup logs from the three systems that I still have not upgraded to the latest version, and it reminds me that this problem is still unsolved. I have been holding out on those upgrades solely because of this issue, plus I have Retrospect upgrades I would recommend for other clients, but am holding on those as well until I can be assured I will get backup logs via email again. I still can't understand exactly how this issue was not discovered prior to release -- getting email notifications is a particularly important part of backup software. Please get this fixed, and get it fixed soon.

I was told by Retrospect support last week that an out-of-band patch would not be released to fix this - apparently, the fix will be part of the next scheduled release.

I was forced to downgrade to Retrospect 8 to resume receiving email notifications of backups. Basically, I wasted the money for the 8.1 upgrade, and like minidomo I am amazed at the lack of importance Retrospect has assigned to this issue. I hope that Retropect will extend our support contracts for as long as this patch goes unfixed, since I paid an upgrade fee to receive a new version of the software that is unusable and have no choice but run the previous version.

I've stuck with Retrospect for more than a decade, but this relationship is souring.

-Dallas

This is ridiculous. It has been two months since this problem has been reported. TWO MONTHS. I don't know what priority Retrospect's engineers have assigned to this issue but whatever it is, IT IS TOO LOW. Every morning, I get backup logs from the three systems that I still have not upgraded to the latest version, and it reminds me that this problem is still unsolved. I have been holding out on those upgrades solely because of this issue, plus I have Retrospect upgrades I would recommend for other clients, but am holding on those as well until I can be assured I will get backup logs via email again. I still can't understand exactly how this issue was not discovered prior to release -- getting email notifications is a particularly important part of backup software. Please get this fixed, and get it fixed soon.

I was told by Retrospect support last week that an out-of-band patch would not be released to fix this - apparently, the fix will be part of the next scheduled release.

I was forced to downgrade to Retrospect 8 to resume receiving email notifications of backups. Basically, I wasted the money for the 8.1 upgrade, and like minidomo I am amazed at the lack of importance Retrospect has assigned to this issue. I hope that Retropect will extend our support contracts for as long as this patch goes unfixed, since I paid an upgrade fee to receive a new version of the software that is unusable and have no choice but run the previous version.

I've stuck with Retrospect for more than a decade, but this relationship is souring.

-Dallas

I agree that fixing this should be a high priority for Retrospect, although I'm not clear from this thread what percentage of users are affected - is it everyone!

Your wasted upgrade is strange, though, as I thought the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 was at no charge - you'd only have paid to go from 7.7 to 8.1, and then that upgrade still gives you the right to use 8.0.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Retrospect released version 8.2 for Windows and 10.2 for Mac yesterday. At least for me, the problem is not fixed -- the "send test e-mail" button works but logs still fail to be sent during automatic executions. I've started a new thread to discuss the issue under the new version -- please add your feedback there if you are seeing this as well. Thanks.

http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/150572-e-mail-notification-not-working-in-82/