10.1 and 10.0.1 Engine "installation failed" error

Today I installed 10.1. There are a few obvious improvements that are welcome.

However, I'm running into a problem that I first experienced when installing 10.0.1. After the first restart of the Retrospect console, you are prompted to run an installer that I imagine installs the new version of the Retrospect Engine. At the end of the installation, the installer gives me an error message that the installation failed. Notwithstanding this error message, the engine's version is the new version and after a couple small backups I notice no problems. Still, I would hate to count on these backups only to find later that my restores don't work because Retrospect wasn't installed properly.

I tried completely uninstalling every remnant of Retrospect and reinstalling from scratch, but same error. I tried installing under a Safe Boot, same error. I tried disabling my firewall and antivirus software. Same error.

Can anybody help me troubleshoot this? Here are the console entries leading up to the install error:

3/19/13 6:36:26.503 PM Retrospect[506]: connectViaQueue: exception "MacTCPconnection::Connect: connect() failed with error 61: Connection refused" connecting to 127.0.0.1:22024

3/19/13 6:36:26.668 PM Retrospect[506]: Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found. Did find: /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

3/19/13 6:36:27.941 PM Retrospect[506]: save password to Keychain Access: find -25300 / modify -1 / delete -1 / add 0

3/19/13 6:36:28.318 PM Installer[515]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

3/19/13 6:36:29.147 PM Installer[515]: Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found. Did find: /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

3/19/13 6:36:29.665 PM Installer[515]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

3/19/13 6:36:32.000 PM kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired

3/19/13 6:36:32.220 PM Installer[515]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:]instead.

3/19/13 6:36:32.220 PM Installer[515]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

3/19/13 6:36:32.305 PM Installer[515]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:fraction:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

3/19/13 6:36:32.305 PM Installer[515]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use - [NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

3/19/13 6:36:32.533 PM Installer[515]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

3/19/13 6:37:21.368 PM coreservicesd[69]: Application App:"Installer" [ 0x0/0x3e03e] @ 0x0x7fd160471d70 tried to be brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontASNs ( ( ASN:0x0-0x41041:) ), so denying.

3/19/13 6:37:21.368 PM WindowServer[127]: [cps/setfront] Failed setting the front application to Installer, psn 0x0-0x3e03e, securitySessionID=0x186a4, err=-13066

3/19/13 6:37:25.901 PM sudo[561]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.launchd.retroengine.plist

3/19/13 6:37:26.086 PM sudo[565]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist

3/19/13 6:37:26.205 PM sudo[567]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroengine.plist

3/19/13 6:37:31.380 PM sudo[571]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.launchd.retroengine.plist

3/19/13 6:37:31.496 PM sudo[573]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist

3/19/13 6:37:31.610 PM sudo[575]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroengine.plists

3/19/13 6:37:31.724 PM sudo[577]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm -rf /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle

3/19/13 6:37:31.837 PM sudo[579]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm -rf /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Retrospect 8.1 Driver Update.rpx

3/19/13 6:37:31.952 PM sudo[581]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/Retrospect.prefPane

3/19/13 6:37:32.066 PM sudo[583]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectEngine.pkg.beQIt7 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/RetrospectServer.prefPane

3/19/13 6:37:32.232 PM sudo[586]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectInstantScan.pkg.l6IDgM ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist

3/19/13 6:37:37.376 PM sudo[590]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectInstantScan.pkg.l6IDgM ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plists

3/19/13 6:37:38.243 PM sudo[592]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.o3jYmS/Scripts/com.retrospect.RetrospectInstantScan.pkg.l6IDgM ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rm -rf /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectInstantScan.bundle

3/19/13 6:37:41.161 PM Installer[515]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

3/19/13 6:37:41.275 PM Installer[515]: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to

3/19/13 6:37:41.275 PM Installer[515]: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance
  • Like 1

Hi,

quite the same here on MacPro 3,1 10.8.3. also same issue on our iMac (10.8.3) for for the client installer, but... the app seems to work (and show a correct version number) despite the installer mention the error, However I cannot re-activate the ISA option with the new system preference option.

Regards,

Eric

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the installer issues. @amkassir, can you upload the installer log to your support ticket from yesterday? I think the section above was just a subset of it from the "All Message" view. @sbgraphic, can you create a support ticket and upload the installer log to it as well? This will help us track down what the issue is.

You can find the installer log in the Console utility app under /var/logs or in the engine installer in the "Window" menu bar item.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the installer issues. @amkassir, can you upload the installer log to your support ticket from yesterday? I think the section above was just a subset of it from the "All Message" view. @sbgraphic, can you create a support ticket and upload the installer log to it as well? This will help us track down what the issue is.

You can find the installer log in the Console utility app under /var/logs or in the engine installer in the "Window" menu bar item.

Great additional information for checking the install/update process afterwards! Thanks.

BDMSTUDIOS: I'm running OS 10.8.3 on an iMac.

bdunagan: You are correct that the section of the console log was from the "All Messages" view. I sent the installer log text to my support case just a few minutes ago.

At least, I think I did. I clicked on the link in the email reply to update my support case online, but after submitting the form I get an error that I must be logged in first and I don't see a way to login. Then I tried submitting the installer log using the Contact Support form on the Retrospect website, as if creating a new support case, but after clicking Submit I get an error, "We're sorry, but something went wrong." Then I got back several "We have received your request for assistance" emails from Retrospect Support, so I'm guessing something actually went through as intended. Maybe several times.

Hi,

quite the same here on MacPro 3,1 10.8.3. also same issue on our iMac (10.8.3) for for the client installer, but... the app seems to work (and show a correct version number) despite the installer mention the error, However I cannot re-activate the ISA option with the new system preference option.

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem re-activating the ISA option with the prefs pane. Then I remembered I completely deactivated the ISA option in Retrospect 10.0 by editing the retro_isa.ini file and using the launchctl unload command in terminal (sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist).

I had trashed the first retro_isa.ini file before installing 10.1 so I didn't have to undo any changes there, but I had to undo my launchctl unload command, entering in terminal:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist

After doing that and restarting, I was able to active the ISA function in the prefs pane.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Regards,

Eric

Hi, Eric, could you please share a screendump with us?

Thanks to a post by wp1, I may have solved this install problem.

If you disabled RetroISA with "launchctl unload -w ....", you have to re-enable it with "launchctl load -w ..." or the client installer will abort with no intelligible error (install log shows postinstall failed). I disabled it this way because changing the .ini file as documented didn't work.

I don't remember so I can't be sure, but I may not have re-enabled RetroISA before the installation. I had disabled it months ago using the launchctl unload -w function. Since then, I re-enabled it using launchctl load -w and tried he installer again today, and it finished without an error. So I'm guessing wp1's statement about the client installer also applies to the server installer, and this appears to have solved the problem. :)

Edit:

The only other thing I changed was that I exported the server installer from within Retrospect (Preferences>Console) and used that installer. So I can't say for sure that the launchctl load -w function fixed this problem, because using the exported installer might have been the reason it worked. I suspect the former, but just saying I'm not 100% certain. Happy that the installer worked, though.

Edited by amkassir

Please see newly added information (including launchctl -w and related installation issue) at: http://retrospect.co...10/instant_scan

Thanks! this tip above fix the install error and Retro ISA activation. it also appear that now my MacPro is running RetroISA "smoothly" (without fans and process getting crazy (less than 50%). No issue for now, I'll test the application on a backup later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...