Restore from a backup ends in the "spinning beach ball"

When I try to restore from a backup, as soon as I click "Preview" there is a long delay which always ends in the "spinning beach ball". The only thing I can do is force quit Retrospect.

I tried this on a backup that contained only 66 files.

I'm running 10.8.2 on a Mac Pro; Retrospect 10.0.1 (Retrospect update says this is the latest version).

If I can't restore from a backup, the utility of Retrospect is zero. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

When I try to restore from a backup, as soon as I click "Preview" there is a long delay which always ends in the "spinning beach ball".

What is a "long delay?" What type of restore? Restoring from a snapshot can take quite some time to prepare,

The only thing I can do is force quit Retrospect.

What did you force quit? The Retrospect console app or the engine process?

Force quitting Retrospect is asking for trouble. It can corrupt the configuration file Config80.dat.

Tim,

I tried the restore operation three times. Each time I waited 10 minutes for the "Preview" to be completed. This was on a backup that only contained 66 files, so I thought this would be fairly quick.

When Retrospect failed to respond, I went to the Apple Menu and chose "Force Quit". A list of running applications was displayed, but there was only one listing for Retrospect (There was no differentiation between app or console). I force quit it.

Should I recycle the media set and try again?

Tim,

Here's the info on the Restore type.

Restore type was: Restore selected files and folders; I then chose the most recent back-up. After that I chose the destination and Restore options. On the Restore Summary page, I clicked the "preview" button, and that's when I eventually got the "beach ball".

How much memory in your Mac Pro and what kind of processor? Anything else eating up a lot of RAM?

You say the backup only had 66 files. Do you mean that was the number of files backed up in that particular backup session? (This is the number that appears next to the backup you chose.) Be aware that that number typically does not include all of the files in the snapshot. If the source volume or favorite folder has lots of files, it can take awhile before all the files are listed. In our setup (see below), a snapshot of a source favorite folder containing several tens of thousands of files takes just under three minutes to appear; a snapshot of an entire boot volume containing hundreds of thousands of files takes considerably longer, and might well exceed 10 minutes.

Well, I appreciate your response.

I recycled the media set and did a fresh backup: 24 GB took 1:06.

After that, I tried the restore with no success.

Then I did a second backup which showed 106 files. Again no success.

I tried a completely different backup on a separate external hard drive. Again, no success.

I give up. The money spent to "upgrade" from version 9 to 10 was a complete waste.

For those of you reading this: the only thing worse than not backing up your files, is believing you are backed up when in fact you can't access the backup. Check it now.

Caveat emptor.

I recycled the media set and did a fresh backup: 24 GB took 1:06.

Is the recycled media set a Tape, File or Disk?

I tried a completely different backup on a separate external hard drive. Again, no success.

- Do you mean a File or Disk media set (residing on external hard drive) still "beach ball" when you try preview on restore?

- In Media Sets > select that media set on external drive > Verify, does Verify complete successfully?

- What version of Retrospect was used to create/backup to that media set on external drive?

Among the 2 recent backups (first one with 24 GB and second with 106 files), is Thorough Verification or Media Verification selected?

- Is the recycled media set a Tape, File or Disk? External disk.

- Do you mean a File or Disk media set (residing on external hard drive) still "beach ball" when you try preview on restore? Yes. The Retrospect media set is on an external hard drive. I use two external hard drives for two media sets.

- In Media Sets > select that media set on external drive > Verify, does Verify complete successfully? Yes.

- What version of Retrospect was used to create/backup to that media set on external drive? 10.0

- Among the 2 recent backups (first one with 24 GB and second with 106 files), is Thorough Verification or Media Verification selected? Thorough verification is on.

FYI- Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors; 6 GB RAM