Backup over VPN - Crash?

Hi, I tried to search for this, but can't search under 4 letters (VPN=3).

- Should Retrospect be able to backup Proactive clients over a VPN connection reliably?

- If not, how can we make sure that when they connect remotely Retrospect doesn't try to back them up?

I came in this morning to see Retrospect trying to backup one client that was not in the office, they were connected over VPN. This will be their first backup, so it will be huge and take quite some time. While at first it 'appeared' that it was making progress, eventually the system starting freezing up. I could force quite the console, but trying to stop the engine wouldn't work. I ran Activity monitor and didn't see anything crazy on CPU usage, but then it froze up and I couldn't get into it. I noticed the external backup drive was showing solid activity, so assumed that was the issue. Eventually, to be able to get the server back, we had to pull the plug on the drive. Then everything came back. Haven't checked to see if the drive is corrupt (hope not, it was almost 1TB of backups).

Could the large amount of data to be backed up over the VPN be too much for Retro?

Thanks.

Try Google for searching:

VPN site:forums.retrospect.com

As long as the VPN connection is 100% reliable, then Retrospect should not have any problems. Since VPN (in my opinion) is about 99.5% reliable, then you might get problems with any software using VPN as a means of communication.

You could block the Retrospect ports 497 (both UDP and TCP) over VPN to avoid Retrospect communicating over VPN.

OK, thanks. Does Retrospect handle the client disconnecting from the VPN during a backup OK?

Not sure if the client disconnected or lost connection with the VPN during the large backup, or if it was just too much at once, that caused the crash.

We have since completed the initial backup on their system (over 150GB) locally, so maybe we'll let it try again now that the backups will be smaller incremental backups. Just can't have it take down our server.

OK, thanks for the tip. Maybe that's what happened. This is our main server, so we cannot have it going down because of Retrospect.

So what is the best way to prevent this?

Should we try to train users to always glance at the Retrospect icon in the taskbar before disconnecting and stop a backup if it is happening? How reliable is this ability for the client to stop a backup mid-stream?

If there's a chance Retrospect can hang, I suppose we would have to figure out a way to prevent VPN backups. I'll explore how to set the firewall to block Retrospect ports (497) for only VPN connections (currently, 497 is set to allow on any connection).

Thanks again!

OK, thanks for the tip. Maybe that's what happened. This is our main server, so we cannot have it going down because of Retrospect.

So what is the best way to prevent this?

Well, not much - if the client hangs, re-connection has never happened with me, and your server may be at risk of a reboot. Mashing the 'Stop" button has a spotty track history, sometimes it even works.

Mostly it will prolly be how much time you can spare to wait for the 'Stopping' to stop. I *have* just power cycled the server on occasion, but then the OS replays the journal for some [ 10 - 15 min. ] amount of time.

And it's very scary waiting for all your scripts/media sets/etc. slowly return to the Console.... ( pleasepleaseplease... )

Ya pays for it on front side or the back side. 'parently.

Should we try to train users to always glance at the Retrospect icon in the taskbar before disconnecting and stop a backup if it is happening? How reliable is this ability for the client to stop a backup mid-stream?

I'd just say "Always let the backup finish" No mess, no foul.

If there's a chance Retrospect can hang, I suppose we would have to figure out a way to prevent VPN backups. I'll explore how to set the firewall to block Retrospect ports (497) for only VPN connections (currently, 497 is set to allow on any connection).

Are these dynamic VPN's? ( I know the answer already don't I? )