name of config file

When we got version 8 of retrospect recently I did an upgrade from version 7.7. The installed files were put in a new directory in my ProgramFiles, but I noticed that the config file was still named 'config77.dat'. Is this the correct name? I am wondering if some of our problems with the upgrade are related to an old config file.

From what I see the config file is called config77.dat and is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect under version 8.

What trouble are you having? I am getting asserts tmemory.cpp-381 errors now in ver 8.1 beta randomly.

I had the same thing after upgrading to 8.0 from 7.7. I ended up rebuilding the config (again) from scratch.. and then again when I installed the beta release of 8.1 which fixed some terrible grooming crashes.

Now I'm on the official 8.1 release, my client GUIs complain they haven't been backed up in 100's of days (even though they have) and users cannot see history info via the client GUI either. Guess what? Support say I need to rebuild my config as it has become corrupt!!

If Retrospect paid my company £500 each time I had to spend a couple of days rebuilding their software, I might not mind so much. As it happens they seem to think it's acceptable that their software can do this and we (end users) pick up the pieces.

It's about time they created a config export tool, which would allow us to export the config (which would also do a corruption/fix process), then we could wipe and reapply all our settings quickly.

Richard

RE: Richy_Boy:

-->

It's about time they created a config export tool, which would allow us to export the config (which would also do a corruption/fix process), then we could wipe and reapply all our settings quickly.

<--

I couldn't agree more. My config file gets corrupted on a weekly basis now. How I get around it is I delete all the execution history and it works for another week or so. If I do end up creating a new config file it takes me about 4-5 hours to get it right.

Johnny Mac