Password changing bugs

The school wiped my daughter's Mac, so I had to restore her various files it (which I did from a CarbonCopyCloner clone of the harddisk, since I am sad to say I don't trust Retrospect's backups at this point - too many things fail).

In reinstalling the client, I had to reset the password and chose a new password since I didn't have the old password handy.

When I tried to locate the client, it told me the password was wrong (expected) and asked me to enter the password, but the password field was dimmed and untypeable. Sigh.

So then I figured I would change the password on the Source first, to match my new password. When I tried to change the password, the OK button was dimmed unless the password fields were both left blank. Sigh.

So I gave up (yet again, it's happening far too often), deleted the source, added a new source and started all over with a new backup.

It'd be nice if these bugs could be ironed out sometime.

• 4 months later...

OK, had another similar problematic case with a dimmed password dialog.

Retrospect inexplicably changed one of my sources to an old laptop Mac, telling me the device was renamed.  Sigh.  Now I can't get it linked back to the correct back because if I click the Location button, and select it, it asks for the password, but the password field is dimmed, and trying to connect just gives a -505 error "Client is reserved".

Is there any way to get retrospect relinked to the correct Mac? Or do I have to give up and delete it and re-backup everything loose all my backup history, etc?  This is a pain!

I have never seen a good explanation for this (odd) behavior, but this is my guess - it's an attempt to avoid situations where customers can evade license restrictions by cloning "clients" and doing backups without legitimate licenses.

The only way I have found to "fix" a situation with a client in one of these odd states is to remove the client software, remove its entry in the retro server, and re-install and re-add a clean client.  That has always worked, and the backups associated with that client still "work", although you have to re-add that client to the relevant scripts, and re-construct the "favorites", and whatnot.